Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 66 coupe I fixed the door locks for the key and the button but if the button is pushed on the outside door handle while the lock is activated then I am unable to unlock the door either with the key or the button.
Any ideas on what the problem could be?

thanks for the assist

Tim

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
If this is with the door closed, I think there is something flipped or reversed on the door actuator. I know if the lock is pushed down and the door is closed after, the door lock is disengaged and the lock knob pushes up. That is so you don't lock your keys in the car. You have to lock the last door with the key from outside. And if you're inside the car with the door locked, pulling the door handle back automatically unlocks and opens the door. Be warned this isn't the case with the trunk, haha!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The latches need to be cleaned up. This typically happens when the existing grease hardens and the mechanicals of the latch do not function smoothly. Remove them, thoroughly clean them, check the operation of each mechanical, apply fresh grease, and reinstall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this is with the door closed, I think there is something flipped or reversed on the door actuator. I know if the lock is pushed down and the door is closed after, the door lock is disengaged and the lock knob pushes up. That is so you don't lock your keys in the car. You have to lock the last door with the key from outside. And if you're inside the car with the door locked, pulling the door handle back automatically unlocks and opens the door. Be warned this isn't the case with the trunk, haha!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not to hijack, but I'm having a similar problem. Mine will lock with the door closed, but the lock knob wont go down as far while the door is open. As a result, when you push the door knob to shut and lock the door the lock knob pops back up. Think mine just needs cleaned?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I can’t lock the doors from the outside of my 66 without using the key either. I just assumed that this was the way it worked back in 66.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can’t lock the doors from the outside of my 66 without using the key either. I just assumed that this was the way it worked back in 66.
That may be true. I have no idea. I have a 66 now, and used to have a 67. On my 67 you could lock it with the lock knob while the door was open and as long as you pushed the door knob in while you shut it, it would lock without a key.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
@Anangryford and @erials I've always locked mine with a key from outside. If you push the lock button down then close the door, the lock comes up. I believe that is the way the 64-66 cars should be. I have no idea about 67 and later. I only owned a 69 coupe for a short time before parting it out, never locked it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes, this is the way a lot of the 60s & 70s cars were made. My 66 Mustang, 67 Cougar and 70 GMC all work the same way. I just close the door and lock it with the key. No brainer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts