Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a website where it shows how to repin door locks for a 65 mustang,I would like to have them match the ignition key that is already installed in the car,the doors are not in yet,thanks,Pete

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I think the locks have to be removed and taken to a locksmith, might be easier to purchase a matching set.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Repinning those locks is easy, but finding pins is hard.

The pin cover cap pries off, and the springs and pins come out the top. Put your key in, select the pins to fit it. Reinstall the driver pins and springs, snap the cap back on, and you are done.

I dabble in lock re-keying and have a fairly good pin kit, but early Mustang pins are smaller in diameter than "normal" locks. What I have found that works is the pins used in Master brand padlocks. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. I asked the local pro locksmith, and he couldn't find any of the correct pins, either.

As kechke says, matching lock sets are fairly cheap and might be the best solution for you. Sounds like you already have the door locks out, and the ignition cylinder is very easy to remove (if you have akey for it).

Good luck,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Can even get one to match the trunk lock up as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts