Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as you all know, Mustangs like to have little things break on them!!

Well, here's what is going on. The outside button on my door handle is REALLY hard to push in, and the door cannot be unlocked except with a REALLY long screwdriver to pop the latch with the window down. The key turns almost all the way in the lock cylinder, but nothing happens.

If I keep the door UNLOCKED, the door will open for a few days. But then, all of sudden, I'll close the door, and it will lock ITSELF. Then I need to get the screwdriver out again and pop the latch.

I want to FIX this problem. I took it to a mechanic friend of mine and he popped the door panel off and said a lot of the "lock components" were held together by zipties and such. PO nightmare!

ANYWAYS, what the heck can I do? As a note, the INTERIOR door handle functions perfectly as opposed to the outside, which is VERY notchy when it works.

*sigh* Help! It's embarassing getting in on the passenger side...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
you can purchase those little plastic door lock rod clips from the vendors, I got a handful from Texas Mustang. My passenger door was the same way...worked fine until it was locked and then would not open. Even after replacing all of the lock rod clips and adjusting everything...it still had the same problem. I could take the latch out of the door and everything would work fine until It was installed in the door and then the locking mechanism in the latch would hang up and not work corrrectly. I replaced the latch mechanism in the door and the problem was solved. Oh and door latches are the same for 67-70, if that helps any. Good luck, Todd P.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My personal experience with the plastic door lock rod retainer clips has been terrible. I have tried clips from a Mustang vendor and from a local parts house. IMHO they were junk. I would advise using original clips. You are looking at $7 a clip, but I think it is worth it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts