Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Retainer clips were missing on passenger and driver door lock rods. I ordered repro clips for $1.25.

1. Has anyone used these? If so, is there any magic to installing? The clips seemed too large for the hole. Finally I pulled the door lock mechanism out to install the clip where I had more space and it was still extermemly hard to install without destroying the clip.

2. On the drivers side, the bottom clip of the door lock rod is also missing. It is very hard to reach and I do not see any way I can get these clips in there. Am I missing something? Is there another clip that is easier to install?

G

·
0 Posts
I went down to my local autoparts store to get the same clips and they worked just fine...i even used some that said they were for GM cars!

some fit VERY tight, and others didnt, but it ended up working just fine and dandy :)

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You know that you have to install the clip first, then shove the rod into it, right?

Even doing that, those $1.25 repro clips that are half plastic are crap. They'll last you a year or so, but then plan on them desintigrating. The real clips are outrageously priced at about $7 a clip but are worth it. They're much easier to install and last a billion times longer. You can use carb clips in a pinch, but they don't operate as smoothly as the original clips.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, my clips were not 1/2 plastic...they were 100% plastic. Your "crap" assessment may give the clips more credit than they deserve. I will try something from the local part store. If that does not work, I will break down and buy the $7 clips.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
These clips come in two sizes according to the control rod diameter. If you use the large ones on small diameter rods you'll likely not meet with success. Also, rod ends have to be at right angles to the direction of pull. Sometimes the rods get bent in use and have to be straightened. Regarding retainer clip size, the rod should fit snugly into the nylon bushing and should not wobble.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Taxman,
I have some extra locks and rods out of a 69-70. If any of those clips will work you can have them. Just let me know the size or send a pic to my email and I will verify I have them still and send them to you. Let me know. Please fill out your profile. It helps more than you think.
Rick Allen/Oceanside, CA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts