Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased pull cups (C9Z's) for my 69 Mach and when I went to put them in, 2" too small. It was suggested to me that perhaps I have the wrong door panels on (70) and that that the pull cups were longer in 70. Is this true? or is there a difference in the 69 pull cups (deluxe int.). I purchased the door panels from a well respected catalogue, could they have sent the wrong thing, do they look the same other than handle size? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
581 Posts
The 69 Deluxe door pull cups are longer than the 70 version. Ford shortened them in 70 because of all the problems they were having with the 69 door cups cracking. The fastest way to tell the difference between a 69 and 70 Deluxe door panel is by the opening for the remote mirror bezel on the drivers side door panel. The 69 door panels should have a slanted, rectangular opening for the remote mirror bezel. The 70 door panels will have a circle.

Sounds to me like you got the wrong door cup pulls. I believe the (70) short and the (69) long door cup pulls both have a C9Z part number. Hope this helps.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okayyyyy.... I think I'm a bit more confused... why would the 70 short have a C9Z stamp. Isn't the whole purpose of the numbers for identification of an item to a year, especially if they are different?! Well, now I am stuck with a set I don't need, using a set I can't stand, and in search of a set I can't find. O Joy! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
581 Posts
I am not 100% sure on the 70 short door cups having a C9Z part number. Maybe someone else can verify this. I have heard vendors refer to the shorter 70 door pull cups as "late 69 and 70 model year." That may explain why the shorter style 70 cups have the C9Z part number. The part numbers on my cup pulls are C9ZB-6524149-BW.

You may want to give Gene Painter a call (864) 297-0342. He sells original 69 door cups but he's expensive. Then again, what choice do we 69 owners have???? Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts