Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have original 66 pony door panels that are in pretty good shape except the clip holes are torn up. Any suggestions how to hold the clips in short of recarding the panels.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You might want skip the clips and try magnets. Look at this prior post:

. . . just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Of all the things in this world made of plastic, it seems like Mustang and other old car door panel "cards" and seat backs, maybe even package trays, would be made of plastic. Waterproof, harder to tear, mold resistant...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Of all the things in this world made of plastic, it seems like Mustang and other old car door panel "cards" and seat backs, maybe even package trays, would be made of plastic. Waterproof, harder to tear, mold resistant...
Or with the kind of folks that frequent this site and and their fabricating skills, aluminum?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It’s been a while since I had my door panels off, but why wouldn’t the later style plastic clips work instead of the metal clips?

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
I’ve didn’t have to go there with magnets, but, I do know there are magnets with the strength of nails. My question, are they “inset” in place of the clips with a epoxy?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I had couple panels that were in good shape on the front but the back was broken out around the clips. I epoxied the clips in and held the epoxy with duct tape and left it after it set up. They held up pretty well, you just need to be careful when removing them - use a wide stiff putty knife or something.

·
Premium Member
10,959 Posts
...why wouldn’t the later style plastic clips work instead of the metal clips?
I assume you are asking about this style of panel retainer.
You would need to cut a round hole in the cardboard panel for the head/upper flange of this retainer to fit through and then slide into place. And then the lower flange would hold the panel away from the door.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts