Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Coupe. Original was 6cy, but now a 302.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the door panels on my Mustang and while prying it off, a few of the clips ripped through that particle board (?). Is there a "good" way to repair these? I was thinking I'd either just smear some glue on it and let it set or maybe put some thin hard patch of some sort for support. But also thought it might good to see if there was an already accepted "best practice" for fixing these boards.... other than just replacing the whole panel.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
441 Posts
New standard panels are about $75 for the pair. If you decide to try fixing them first, I wouldn't glue them in place, since they need to move a little in order to line up when you're getting them all in place. Maybe epoxy a piece of thin metal over the torn section? Then you'd have to do something to take up the thickness of the missing cardboard under the metal, unless you can use the torn cardboard and push it in place with the metal. That probably doesn't make any sense except to me!
Just had another idea...how about turning the clip in another direction, to grab some good material.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Some hardening epoxy over the torn cardboard, let dry then re-insert the clip.
It's 2021...TMI and Distinctive Industries etc should be offering a plastic door panel card and seat back card that would last longer, not tear so easily, and would be waterproof...they can still offer the cardboard for the purist.

Reactions: CUAviator and TKOP

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New standard panels are about $75 for the pair. If you decide to try fixing them first, I wouldn't glue them in place, since they need to move a little in order to line up when you're getting them all in place. Maybe epoxy a piece of thin metal over the torn section? Then you'd have to do something to take up the thickness of the missing cardboard under the metal, unless you can use the torn cardboard and push it in place with the metal. That probably doesn't make any sense except to me!
Just had another idea...how about turning the clip in another direction, to grab some good material.
Sorry, i think i misspoke --I wasn't going to glue them to the door itself, just put a layer of some sort of glue (epoxy even better) to mend the tear.
Turning the clip didn't work as well -- I didn't get a good fit and have it fit in the hole it the door.

Some hardening epoxy over the torn cardboard, let dry then re-insert the clip.
It's 2021...TMI and Distinctive Industries etc should be offering a plastic door panel card and seat back card that would last longer, not tear so easily, and would be waterproof...they can still offer the cardboard for the purist.
Agree -- a plastic sheet would be WAY better. I think Epoxy is going to be what I'm going to go with.

Thanks to you both!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Would agree on the quality of the panels - I've already torn out two clips while trying to get a new TMI driver's panel on. The clips "fit in the hole" up until they actually needed to tapped in.. wish this stuff would fit better. Would certainly be less aggravating.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
It's pretty easy to remove the padded vinyl from one of the door panel cards. It would be no great task to make a new one out of plastic or aluminum using the cardboard one for a template. Would probably outlast the rest of the car once you use some adhesive to put the padded vinyl back on.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
On another forum there was a fellow who glued thin super magnets onto panel.
He said it a very successful method.

Reactions: TKOP

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On another forum there was a fellow who glued thin super magnets onto panel.
He said it a very successful method.
I LOVE that idea.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,427 Posts

·
Registered
1966 C Code Coupe / 1970 Mach 1 351C
141 Posts
I bought the magnets, which I was planning on using, but ended up gluing sheet metal over where the cardboard tore (usually 1" x 2") close to the edge. I used epoxy glue and clamped it overnight. It worked well. I still have about 15 magnets, and if I have to pull it off again, will probably use those if they tear away again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts