Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am looking to paint the inside door border (part that looks like vinyl surface) and it was recommended to me that I use a lacquer instead of enamel to freshen up the black look. Is there a certain place/brand that I should use to complete this? Is this something I can get at a local auto parts store or automotive paints store? I am not sure what is involved as far as product and technique for this process---so any help you can give me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
'68 289 Mustang Coupe
'00 Chevy Silverado

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Randy,

Going for a fresh coat of black to touch up some spots that have faded/turned rust color. What would you suggest??? The way it looks enamel rattle can may even work but I want to know for sure!!!

Mike
'68 289 Mustang Coupe
'00 Chevy Silverado

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Lacquer will go on thinner. The biggest problem is putting on too much paint will fill in the surface. You will want to remove any existing paint before you start and prime with a light coat. Enamel will probalby work OK if you remove all existing paint, but I would use lacquer if possible.

67 Sprots Sprint, Convert. Original C code, now 293 ci with Holley 450 and 295,000 miles
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575962&a=11982331&p=43165927.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Did this on the son's '66. I agree with the importance of removing some or all of the old paint. You want to retain the grain of the surface if at all possible. Do the paint removal chemically with paint remover (stripper). Keep any sanding to a minimum, and put on lacquer paint because as others said it is thinner. It will also "run" easier than enamel so apply several light coats. Don't be anxious and try to cover it all to quickly.Most if not all of the Mustang shops have the lacquer in rattle cans.

David
Mountain Dew & Donuts, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
'66 Coupe 289 2V done for son
'70 Coupe 351W 4V (She Bear), doing for me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts