Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Door scuff plate stainless screw corrosion

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  65Wimbledon 
#1 ·
I pulled my factory original aluminum door scuff plates off and found some significant corrosion around each of the screw holes.

I find it interesting that Ford used stainless fasteners for an aluminum plate when stainless is known to corrode aluminum. Maybe that wasn't well known back then.

Has anyone else seen this? Do you guys use stainless fasteners or switch to zinc? I think I'm going to go pick up some zinc screws to use instead.

See less See more
#4 ·
I think you'll find that 55 years of use and damp carpets will have a greater effect on the bright dip aluminum than the stainless screws.

Zinc screws will look like crap in short order.
Yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe someone cleaned the carpet with some salts and that's why.

#6 ·
The last thing that I'd worry about is the Stanless Steel screws... They sure didn't cause that corrosion...

#9 ·
Yeah you guys are probably right, it's most likely salts from the carpet somehow, rather than the stainless to aluminum galvanic corrosion. Otherwise I think I'd see more corrosion on the top of the plate than I do. I'll continue to use stainless screws.

#12 ·
I pulled my factory original aluminum door scuff plates off and found some significant corrosion around each of the screw holes.

I find it interesting that Ford used stainless fasteners for an aluminum plate when stainless is known to corrode aluminum. Maybe that wasn't well known back then.

Has anyone else seen this? Do you guys use stainless fasteners or switch to zinc? I think I'm going to go pick up some zinc screws to use instead.

View attachment 760361
I don't know what hardware you have, But I think Ford used chrome screws not stainless. I think it's more the age of the Aluminum. You can put a LITTLE light grease in the holes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.