Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the interior side of the door shells prepped and painted with etching primer. They are now ready for jamb painting with poppy red. I stripped all the guts out of these shells, and found out I need to order considerably more parts than I had originally hoped. The driver side wing window bracket was broken off as well as the mounting bracket for the front window run. The spring return/remote mechanism which attached to the inside door handle is toast also. Along with assorted broken rollers, etc. I will need to totally restore all of the mechanisms and re-install them when the shells are jambed. And replace all the felt, mouldings, and weatherstripping. I will also coat the inside with over-rust which is similar to POR-15. Then spray the shell insides with rubberized undercoating.

I spent last winter doing extensive body work on the right shell as the entire bottom was rusted out and needed rebuilt. I glued on a patch panel along the outside bottom with a product called FUZOR 108B. The lower front jamb needed replaced and I had to fabricate the jamb from sheet metal. I figured close to 60 hours on the doors so far, and probably another 40 to finish them up, including the hinge rebuild. By then the doors will be like brand new, and a major part of phase 2 will be completed.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Lookin good....after all that work I hope noone manages to "blow your doors off" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
Doors are an area I'm not looking forward to....as hard as the interior of those doors are to work with and with all those sharp edges...looks like a few cuts will be inevitable (to me, not to the doors). I've heard that you can line the sharp edges with tape or windlace....

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Looking good.... I am not looking foward to doing the doors on my 69 Coupe, got to replace both the door skins.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Did you bead blast your doors? If not, how did you remove the undercoating on the inside of the doors? That's one thing I'm not looking forward to.

My doors are completely rotted out on the bottoms (non-skin area), and have speakers cut into them. I'm debating whether to find two good doors to replace the ones I have or spend inordinate amount of time repairing the ones I have...*sighs*

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. The edges weren't sharp but the tape trick would be helpful. As for the insides, I will OverRust the insides at the bottom top and inside side. The outside, where the old rubbercoating is will just get a new coat of rubberised undercoat. I just totalled all the goodies I need to get for the phase 2 interior/doors and windows will run about $550. Wonder if SWMBO will let go of some cash???? Midlife....you may want to consider replacing those shells if money allows. I've already spent an inordinate amount of hours on these doors with many more remaining. Just depends on your "cup of tea", or jack....hehe

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, no I didn't bead blast. I used a combo of wire wheels and drill strippers to remove the paint and adhesives, along with adhesive remover. I cleaned the weathershield caulking off with a putty knife, then the rest with the adhesive remover. The wire wheels and sander wheels prepped up the insides really nice and left that wrinkle finish intact on the inner surfaces. The whole paint removal procedure took only several hours. Though not concourse, I will jamb paint the interior door surfaces the same as the exterior.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Midlife...I passed on a pair of perfect solid doors for $50 each at a swap meet. They are out there so keep an eye out.
Better than repair work for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
I have the same thing going on my 68 doors. What a nightmare. In the long run all the parts and work you put into those doors are going to make the car tight. Hate to see a car looking so pretty and cool only to find out the dang window dose not roll up straight or theres a clunking or ratteling going down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts