Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any luck attaching the door sill plate decal to the sill plate? I tried with double sided tape and it just popped off. Maybe I need better tape but worst case I'll just glue it. I'm curious what everyone else has used or what works the best.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
3M makes a number of products. Anything with "VHB" in the product number will work. "Very High Bond"... and believe me, it's all that the title describes. Their VHB tapes come anywhere from less than paper thin to 1/8" thick. Once it's on, it's not coming off.

https://itape.com/en/products/double-coated tape

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had bad luck with those decals staying on though. I'll clean the plate better though and see if my new decal will work this time.

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
I've had bad luck with those decals staying on though. I'll clean the plate better though and see if my new decal will work this time.
I tried that and they didn't hold. Both came loose within thirty days, and I had even wiped the brand new sill plates with lacquer thinner first. Crap adhesive, hence the 3M stuff that holds. I'm pretty sure I could even remove them without damaging the sill plates too, if I ever have reason to.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I tried that and they didn't hold. Both came loose within thirty days, and I had even wiped the brand new sill plates with lacquer thinner first. Crap adhesive, hence the 3M stuff that holds. I'm pretty sure I could even remove them without damaging the sill plates too, if I ever have reason to.
Yep! Adhesive on those is garbage. I need to grab a few inches of the 3M stuff we use at work. With permission of course.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Not that I've got stock in 3M or anything, but I've worked in a few sign shops over the years. The sign in the attached picture has a welded aluminum angle frame and the faces are attached to said frame with... you guessed it... 3M VHB tape. If you attach the emblems to the jamb plates with 3M VHB, they're living there, and will be there after your car gets passed on to your great grandchildren.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Good timing, I have been looking for a solution too. My passenger side has stayed on well, but the drivers side dint last a week.

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
Maybe I got lucky but the replacement emblems on my sill plates are still firmly attached after 3.5 years.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Maybe I got lucky but the replacement emblems on my sill plates are still firmly attached after 3.5 years.
+1
Mine too. I don’t need a super glue to fix them, they just stay in place, no problems.!

Josep

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Jesus, Has anyone ever heard of 5-Minute Epoxy..???!?? Not a Brain burner here on this one....

Been using it to affix my Door Sill Plate emblems (New and Used) for 35 years.... Still waiting for one to come off...

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts