Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all Ford door sill plates made of cheapo metal? Put "new" ones on my '67 a few months back and almost all the screws have already pulled through the sill plates. I paid $100 for a "new" set for our '58 Thunderbird last year, and the screws pulled thru them as I was installing. Not to mention none of the holes line up on either of them. Is the only real option to find a decent set of original plates and clean them up?

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
They're definitely softer than originals. I bought mine from Matt at Ponderosa Mustang. They look fine and I haven't had any of the problems you describe.

·
Registered
597 Posts
John's Mustang has original Ford sill plates - I just replaced my repops with a set of originals because I had the same problems as you. Huge difference in fit & thickness of the metal.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The originals - same goes for rocker mouldings, grille mouldings, wheel mouldings, basically any sort of chrome piece. I've bought repops of all of those over the years, and they've all been replaced with originals later on because the repops just weren't good enough. You pay a premium, yeah, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
yea they are easily bent and screwy, but ive never had a screw go through it.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I've got the second set of repops on my 69 vert and they're not that bad but I do have a problem with a bolt on the bottom of the driver side door hitting the sill plate and ripping a groove in the plate. The door is aligned properly, swings and stops at the two reqired places when opened and the bolt is the factory bolt but it still strikes on the sill. Any suggestions on why this is happening? Is the door sagging when open but being "aligned" when it closes?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Ken: My SportsRoof has the same problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts