Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get enough leverage with my large phillips without the screw driver poping out of the screw. I'm thinking I need to purchase an impact driver that you wack with a hammer. Is this the ticket?
Dave

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Welcome to your nightmare!!!

Yes, an impact might help......I get the feeling they used threadlocker on those....PB blaster on the back side of the screws might also help.

But when its all said and done, one or two may not come out without drilling them...been there, done that!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Trick of the trade!

Buy an impact drive set(the kind you hit with a hammer). Use the large phillips bit with a socket and AIR impact wrench. Soak the threads from the back with PB blaster or WD40 first. This is the only way I have had success with strikers that have never been off since new! Good Luck! ::

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the answer I was looking for, but not surprised. All I wanted to do it repaint the door jambs, and it would look so much better if I can remove the strikers.
Dave

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Maybe I was lucky or mine were not that tight, but I put a phillips screw driver bit into a small socket wrench. The leverage of the wrench was enough. Tightened them the same way.

JBauer4363

·
Registered
333 Posts
Vise-Grips clamped as tight as they could go on my largest phillips scewdriver, along with all the pressure on it I could muster up did it for me.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Ditto on Bullit's suggestion. I tried using my BFH & impact driver but had no luck. Even with the air gun it took several tries to get the screw to vibrate loose. Definitely pre-soak with PB or WD40.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts