Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it illegal or just unethical to create door tag information. I have a 65 coupe, so I can't get a marti report it figure out my questions about the car. I am not 100% sure what the color was on the car. If I paint the car a color I like can I let the door tag reflect that color? The same goes for the interior, if I put a pony interior into the car over standard interior?

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
I take it the original tag no longer exists?

For 65/66 cars there really is no way to absolutely verify the original info. However, with detective work you can usually figure a lot of it out.

It is not illegal to put anything you want on the tag. Door tags are not for title purposes, it says so right on the tag.

What I recommend to someone who want to change a 65/66 tag is to keep the original with the car. Perferably bonded to the car somewhere :).

The above in JMO.

John Harvey

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've done it. Wanted a nice clean new door tag and figured I might as well make it match how I built the car. I did reveal all of this when I sold the car.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tag was missing when I got the car. I need to figure out the build date, DSO, color and interior. I believe the interior was standerd black. Not sure on color, Maybe dark green (over spary I found on the car) not a good reprsentation so I am not positive. Build date I can guess on the date based on date codes stamped on the aprons and inside the roof. No clue how to figure out DSO. Anythoughts?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
There is a production book out that folks use to figure out a build date. You take known VINs with known build dates and they can pretty much narrow it down to within a day or two. Someone who knows what I mean will jump in. The interior should hold the secret of the color. Look behind the door panels, the floors, hidden spots in the trunk, behind the kick panels, you get the idea. The interior is easy to change so that might be a little tougher. When you know the color you can at least determine what color interiors were available which will get you part way there. The DSO is next to impossible unless you can track the POs or track the car through it's registration history. Both tasks can be daunting on a 40 year old car but it can be done. Start with the guy you bought it from and just start working your way back. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
If you have a buck tag, that will help a lot. At least it did on my '66. I found mine to be dealer ordered, Jan 21 birth, Signal Flare red, (interior would have been white/red), and A/C was ordered. Other things on the door tag are dependent on what has been replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts