Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger door on my 69 wont open from either the inside or outside. It feels like there is nothing attached to the handels. Is this a hard problem or easy fix? Is the door panel hard to get off with doot shut?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Not sure about the 69, but the panel should pop off with the right tool. Sounds like the rods have come off the latch.
Pretty easy fix on my 66.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
If I recall correctly I had the same problem once. There was a little spring that came off the latch for the lock mechanism. I was lucky enough at the time to have no door panel on. I just reached my hand inside and moved the lever. I never did find the spring. I bought a used latch from ebay just to get the spring.

You should be able to take the door panel off if you have a deluxe interior. Standard interior cars require you to take the dash pad off to get to a screw at the top.

It would be helpful if someone were to post a picture of the backside of a latch for you. I checked my pics and they are all from the wrong angle.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
There's an easier way....

Agreed, you'll need the door panel off to fix the problem, however, your immediate problem is that you need the door open.

Can you roll the window down?

With the window rolled down, bend up a coat hanger with a hook on the end of it and fish it down into the door latch mechanism area. It'll take some fanagling, but the hook will eventually grab a hold of one of the levers and pop the door open.

Then you can remove your door panel and fix the disconnected rod(s).

Dave

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Good point Dave! The old coat hanger trick! :thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I got the door open today. Not sure what the problem is the only thing I see is a spring broken. Its the spring that connects the lock mecanisum to the catch. Its the lower of the 2 springs on the catch. I call NPD but they dont have the spring.
Does anyone know where I can get this spring?

Thanks mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts