Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the problem. If I close the door normally it hits the striker and bounces back open. If I grab the handle and push it bounces open. If I push hard below the handle it will finally engage and stay closed. New striker pins have been installed and line up perfectly with the center of the latch. It does this on both doors. It looks like new latches were installed but they don't operate correctly.Hinges are new and the door doesn't drop. Any idea on a fix?
Thanks,
Fred

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
You say you have it lined up perfectly in the center of the latch which is good. Have you tried moving the striker outward a little to see if it helps the latch engage easier?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only moves in and out very slightly so adjustment is very small that way. It moves up and down much more but I don't need the adjustment that way since the striker is centered.
I have tried adjusting it everyway possible. What's funny is that both doors are doing it.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
How does your doors line up after/when you do get them to latch? Are the back edge of the door recessed in any, like not flush with the quarter panel? Still sounds like the striker need to come outward some. Sometime's if you loosen up the 2 screws that hold the striker plate on the B-post and tap LIGHTLY and carefully outward you can move it a little more which might help. Just don't want to get the striker out to far to try to solve your problem than your door will not line up as it should (flush).

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have a very similar issue with my drivers side door Fred, seems like there is too much tension when the door gets close to latching. I've looked at it every which way and can't figure it out. I need to push directly against the handle to get it to latch and then it will still pop open on occasion. I don't know if the hinges are binding some how or if it's the latch. I have a new latch and I will probably try that before I get different hinges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts