Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled my doors off last night.....and low and behold... rust hole in the bottom of one. Gee suprise ,suprise.....Little present from Mr. Bondo! Holes in the frame itself, so a skin won't help.Metal looks pretty thin, not sure if it can be patched or not? I know It's probably been asked a 1000 times..... are doors on a convert the same as a coupe etc. ? Do I change the windows or will it bolt right up?
Thanks guys

Ken
99 GTP
97 Yukon
68 GT convert

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
The door shell is the same but the rollup glass is unique to verts. I'm doing the same thing to mine for the same reasons.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/coppertone2.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark..... I kinda figured that.... but needed someone to confirm it..... I know where there's a parts car setting (coupe) If I can talk the guy out of it and.... if its any better shape than what I have?

Ken

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Before you trash your current doors, break them down and take a thorough look at them. It may be you have a bad spot where water tended not to drain, and you can repair just around that area (and add a drain too).
65/66 Doors are universal - glass unique to each bodystyle.

Also, STAY AWAY FROM THE REPRO DOORS !!!!!! I know first hand that you're better off reskinning or repairing originals than wasting time and money trying to make the repros fit. They won't.......

Good luck - Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to check (show) my new found welder buddy...we're getting to be good friends (laugh) See what he thinks? Front corner is pretty bad... and one spot mid-door has a small one starting.... I was just asking as a worst case type thing..... adding an extra drain hole is a good idea though... thanks Dix

Ken

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
A pal of mine who's redone more than a few early mustangs always adds a few extra drains in his doors. He says that depending on how your car sits, that there can be small pockets in the doors that will not drain.
An extra drain or two, along with some paint/rustproofing will go a long way to adding life to those doors. Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts