Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for lug nuts for some old 70's style mag wheels and the Firestone dealer that did my alignment gave me the Dorman number for the lug nuts. I went to my local auto parts stores (AutoZone and Kragen) and they looked at me and said - we cant get 'em.

Anybody ever used a Dorman number to get some parts??? Hell, these old lug nuts cant be that hard to find.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Are you talking bout torque thrust wheels or magnum? If you are referring to torque thrust you can get packs of four or five from most auto parts stores or off the internet like Restore Mustangs or Mustangs Plus.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Dorman products come with different part numbers, depending on how they're packaged. Bulk, bubble packs, etc. They obviously didn't try verry hard to find the part you're looking for. Didn't they even ask what the application is?

They should be 1/2-20. You have to look at the mag wheel and see if you need a tapered seat or a flat seat (with washer) , and whether the end is open or closed. Probably closed with a flat seat. They also come with a long or short shank. Again, look at the wheel.

Carparts.com has some Dorman #s if you look under a '73 Mustang. They have different numbers, but the descriptions are poor. It's easier to look at the lugnuts to tell the differences. Most parts stores have them out on the shelves for you to look at.

One final suggestion, find a better parts store...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Dorman number I have is for a bubble pack of 20 lug nuts. Yes they are 1/2-20. My mags are the old Western Turbo II also called Vector Mags. They were from the late 70's, early 80's, but still look good on old Mustangs, so no plans to replace them. They are a flat seat with washer and do come with a short shank although a few of them are long shank. Close end of course. Cant find em anywhere, all the stores have is metric.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Take a look at the Dorman catalog. They might have a listing for that number which you can cross to a bubble pack of 5.

Or have them call their warehouse.

Or find a better parts store.

Or buy them from the Firestone guy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts