Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 66 coupe I acquired for my wife recently had a previous owner at some point that wanted a new stereo. That person apparently only had a pair of dull tin snips in their tool box. They ripped the original hole in the dash and folded the metal back behind it. This person also wanted speakers in the front doors, so they hacked 5” diameter holes in the lower corners of each door. And if you are familiar with what size speakers fit in the lower doors, you know that a 5” hole will extend about an inch into the door panel. Needless to say I have my work cut out for me!

Since I had no desire to go back to a dual knob stereo, and welding would be required anyway to do a standard single DIN head unit, I figured I’d go all out and do a double DIN touchscreen! The door speaker holes required me to weld in patch panels for 4”x6” speakers, with the hopes that the speaker grills would hide the welds and patches.

I finally got around to attacking it this weekend and it’s coming along nicely. See two pictures of what I started with. I will post more pics as I make more progress. The interior is being overhauled completely, so it’s gonna take me some time to make it all pretty again. In the mean time you can see what all is involved in case you were pondering the same project.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
^^ you'll notice they used a '65 dash pad for clearance... I also like the way they built up the dash behind the radio for a flat surface- very clean

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out Revology Mustangs to get a good idea of what a double din will look like in a 66.
That’s the one I liked and am doing something very similar. I didn’t know the 65 dash pad was different... hmmm, might have to ponder that idea. The 66 dash pad fits, albeit tightly, but it does fit. I think the interior color makes a huge difference on how that head unit looks installed, changes how much attention is drawn to it.

Attached is a pic of the hole with the head unit just sitting in there. You can see the lack of paint on the dash, to the right of the stereo, that’s how far the dash was bent back! I had to fold it back and flatten it back out! Yeesh!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I want to like that Revology solution, but I don’t. Just doesn’t seem to fit.

That console looks nice though.
I agree- it's quality work, but for it to fit right and look more at home, the car needs to be a full tilt modified. This one still has too much of a vintage feel to it. It would look more appropriate in a car built by either 4ocious or the Ring Bros....:grin2:

·
6,913 Posts
Man. I HATE it. I must be getting old.

Seriously though...here's what I see in my crystal ball. 20-years from now, some newb is going to drop into the VIrtual Mustang Forhaha (OR whatever they call it) and bitch about the ENORMOUS hole someone cut into the car's dash he just bought to mount a non-working touch screen.

When faced with the same issue....I welded in a patch and put my dash back to original. Then I mounted a couple of small gauges (temp and oil pressure) in a blockoff plate in the factory hole. Then I mounted my stereo in the glove box and bought some aftermarket kicks for speakers.

Phil

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
People that want all that modern crap...like touch screens and push button ignitions should just buy a new 2018 mustang in my opinion..

Ok, I've said my 2 cents worth...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Administrator
19,785 Posts
Dang! OK. I kinda like touchscreens myself. I've gotten pretty fond of the one I put in SWMBO's Expedition. DVD, GPS, and apps like Slacker, Waze, and Pandora are great on long trips. My issue with the revology one would be that the interior's all shiny paint, chrome, and woodgrain and then there's this big black plastic thing. As new tech in old tech it's never really going to blend but I can see one looking a LOT better in a black dash. There's a couple I've seen in consoles that look pretty slick.

I think I'll stick with single DIN's myself. Some of those flip out screen ones are really tempting me lately.

·
Dimples
3,755 Posts
My issue with the revology one would be that the interior's all shiny paint, chrome, and woodgrain and then there's this big black plastic thing. As new tech in old tech it's never really going to blend but I can see one looking a LOT better in a black dash. There's a couple I've seen in consoles that look pretty slick.
Agreed on all points. This definitely has potential.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed on all points. This definitely has potential.
That's where I am at as well. One downside on my install is that my black dash is going to be going to the medium blue color, so it will blend in better than the creamy white dash, but not quite as well as the black. The other thing I have going for me is that I have the standard interior; the glove box and gauge cluster are your standard "camera black" type finishes. As with any cosmetic modification, its all about getting things to look like they belong there.

Now if that Revology Mustang painted the stereo bezel to match the dash color it might not look so out of place...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Dang! OK. I kinda like touchscreens myself. I've gotten pretty fond of the one I put in SWMBO's Expedition. DVD, GPS, and apps like Slacker, Waze, and Pandora are great on long trips. My issue with the revology one would be that the interior's all shiny paint, chrome, and woodgrain and then there's this big black plastic thing. As new tech in old tech it's never really going to blend but I can see one looking a LOT better in a black dash. There's a couple I've seen in consoles that look pretty slick.

I think I'll stick with single DIN's myself. Some of those flip out screen ones are really tempting me lately.
Like you, I've got a single DIN receiver in mine. The hole for the factory radio was pretty butchered up so I figured what the heck. I've also looked at the flip out screens, but they all flip up and the dash pad on the 65 gets in the way so it will never be fully flat and always facing down.

I've also thought of going double-din and will bookmark this to see the direction and issues you faced. Since my dash is already black it might be as out of place as the Revology one. Good luck. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,785 Posts
When I first started getting the yen for a single flip out screen setup there were about six varieties of of flip DOWN units. Last I looked I saw about none. There are some funky ones that look flip down but are really removable faces that don't retract. Nope. One reason I'm looking because I was thinking of forcing one into my F150 where the dash pad overhangs the radio area. Kind of stuck on my audiophile "flip face" CD player I have in the '67. Future audio options for the '69 are wide open though. I'm getting spoiled to the point where I think a bluetooth phone connection is mandatory.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
When I first started getting the yen for a single flip out screen setup there were about six varieties of of flip DOWN units. Last I looked I saw about none. There are some funky ones that look flip down but are really removable faces that don't retract. Nope. One reason I'm looking because I was thinking of forcing one into my F150 where the dash pad overhangs the radio area. Kind of stuck on my audiophile "flip face" CD player I have in the '67. Future audio options for the '69 are wide open though. I'm getting spoiled to the point where I think a bluetooth phone connection is mandatory.
The flip-down versions that I saw a while back all came from China, and some like you said would not retract. I love Bluetooth in my other car, but with the sound of the exhaust in the Stang my phone has a hard time understanding what I want it to do. Since it is not dead quite but at least "OK Google" will work if I hold the phone up to my face, and I'm cruising in 5th gear or stopped at a light, but once moving - game over. No one ever said a 50 year old car was quite anyway, and I like the sound of the exhaust when changing gears so no phone calls.

It never fails that I receive a call from the wife when I'm turning and changing gears at the same time.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm getting spoiled to the point where I think a bluetooth phone connection is mandatory.
Ha! My wife and I are the same way! Our newest vehicle, a 2012, came with all the fun technology, our 2008 vehicle did not. I installed one of these big touchscreens in it and it’s wonderful. The 66 is going to be a daily driver, so any way to get the modern conveniences installed to encourage use of the vehicle I will make the effort.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
This:

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/product/details?pdesc=Fusion-MS-BT100-Marine-Bluetooth-Module&i=319626&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=333139363236&s_kwcid=adwords__&gclid=CjwKCAiA8bnUBRA-EiwAc0hZk2jU5_sokGmynhS4vzljKr61aKeQPN03_IzkAqHDYKp2WlB8udFofRoChUwQAvD_BwE

plus small 4-channel amp and a radio block off plate works well. I use one in my car, my boost and AFR gauges are in the radio area. I have kick panel/rear deck speakers and a 10" sub with a 5 channel amp all run from my phone.

I also recommend getting something like this so you don't have to mess with your phone to change tracks / volume

https://www.ebay.com/i/222234246269?chn=ps

My dash:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts