Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
My plan is to put a double din in my 66 fastback but will not be cutting up the dash. I just repaired a friends dash who had hacked it up to put in a cassette player. I will be building a sort of console under the dash to go from floor to the underside of the dash then machine a fancy billet aluminum face to mount it in. I need a backup camera so that's my main reason for the double din but will also have GPS built in for long cruises. I'll post pics when I start this project

Attachments

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Wanted to post an update....

Got the head unit installed finally. It is a TIGHT fit, but, it fits! I had a close clearance issue with the 4x10 speaker in the dash, there is maybe an 1/8" clearance from the top of the head unit to the bottom of the speaker magnet, but it doesn't hit and that's what matters! I am gonna try out using the center speaker in conjunction with the two 4x6 door speakers to get a better sound field. We'll see how it goes...
When you cut out the hole did you take out the dash pad? Also did you have to make any modifications to the dash pad to get clearance? I bought a double din install cage, and I can't see how it would fit without cutting the dash pad where the top of the cage would fit. Thanks

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
When you cut out the hole did you take out the dash pad? Also did you have to make any modifications to the dash pad to get clearance? I bought a double din install cage, and I can't see how it would fit without cutting the dash pad where the top of the cage would fit. Thanks
Most definitely the dash pad came out. I had to cut, grind, and weld my dash (not to mention paint) to get it back together. I didn’t have to modify the pad, but again, it was a tight fit. I too purchased the double din cage but figured out I couldn’t use it because it was just a tad too big height wise. I cut the dash down nearly all the way to the bottom curved edge to get the stereo wedged in to not have to modify the dash pad.

But when pushing the stereo further down you have to also watch out for the heater controls. I had to trim a 1/4” or so off of one of the studs that hold the heater controls in because it was catching on the bottom of the head unit. If you can figure out a way to bring the dash pad up a 1/2” in that stereo area you will have plenty of clearance and could utilize the cage, but unmodified it won’t quite work.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Most definitely the dash pad came out. I had to cut, grind, and weld my dash (not to mention paint) to get it back together. I didn’t have to modify the pad, but again, it was a tight fit. I too purchased the double din cage but figured out I couldn’t use it because it was just a tad too big height wise. I cut the dash down nearly all the way to the bottom curved edge to get the stereo wedged in to not have to modify the dash pad.

But when pushing the stereo further down you have to also watch out for the heater controls. I had to trim a 1/4” or so off of one of the studs that hold the heater controls in because it was catching on the bottom of the head unit. If you can figure out a way to bring the dash pad up a 1/2” in that stereo area you will have plenty of clearance and could utilize the cage, but unmodified it won’t quite work.
Thanks for the info. When looking at the cage it is about 1/4" too tall. I know the holes for the two pad studs are large so maybe pushing the pad up some will give me the clearance I need. Since you didn't use the cage how did you attach the head unit, and while we are talking about the head unit, which brand and model did you go with? What are the dimensions of the head unit, Height, Width, and depth w/o the cage?

Thanks again for the info and help. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Double-Din in 65 with black dash

Dang! OK. I kinda like touchscreens myself. I've gotten pretty fond of the one I put in SWMBO's Expedition. DVD, GPS, and apps like Slacker, Waze, and Pandora are great on long trips. My issue with the revology one would be that the interior's all shiny paint, chrome, and woodgrain and then there's this big black plastic thing. As new tech in old tech it's never really going to blend but I can see one looking a LOT better in a black dash. There's a couple I've seen in consoles that look pretty slick.

I think I'll stick with single DIN's myself. Some of those flip out screen ones are really tempting me lately.
OK, Gypsy. I put a double-din into my 65 that has a black dash. Does it look better?

It has bluetooth, DVD, backup camera, GPS Navi, and SD card input. It is a Kenwood DNX773S, and does fit without interference from the wiper motor. The only thing I would do different is move it to the glovebox 1/4" as I had interference with the switch that controls the blower motor. I had to leave where it was since I already had a single din in place. I did modify the switch so it was moved closer to the instrument panel for the cage to fit.

I have all the steps to do this, and if anyone is interested I can create a new thread. Just let me know.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,647 Posts
I've seen any number of posts from people griping about how their previous owner "butchered" their dash to fit some radio or another. THOSE people are going to have heart attacks when they see yours! :)

I think it looks pretty darn sweet myself.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Well, It's sure better than the gaping hole that was there before...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Good thread!
Lots to think about for my 68.
I like that big one in the console!
It’s cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found a solution to using the original holes (no cutting) and still have a double din screen. Pioneer DMH-C2500 (modular solution Receiver). The 7" x 4" LCD is separate from the receiver and connected by an hdmi cable. The DMH-C5500NEX lcd is better (the same as on a smart phone) but is bigger 10" x 5". To make the 5500 work one must use the 65 dash and slightly modify it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I found a solution to using the original holes (no cutting) and still have a double din screen. Pioneer DMH-C2500 (modular solution Receiver). The 7" x 4" LCD is separate from the receiver and connected by an hdmi cable. The DMH-C5500NEX lcd is better (the same as on a smart phone) but is bigger 10" x 5". To make the 5500 work one must use the 65 dash and slightly modify it.

:worthless:

and also very cool sounding

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Has anybody added one inside the stock console compartment under the dash?... I though that would be a cool place to keep it vintage / out-of-sight when parked but you could open the console and have your satellite nav, apps, multi-media, even a screen for a cleverly-hidden backup camera... I love the 2-DIN Pioneer AVHX series I put in my F-250, added front AND rear cameras. Backup camera comes on automatically and I can turn on either with a momentary switch.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
People that want all that modern crap...like touch screens and push button ignitions should just buy a new 2018 mustang in my opinion..

Ok, I've said my 2 cents worth...

Tony K.
We bought a 2017 and it has all that crap. Ive only driven it a couple times, to much going on. I like knobs, plus the touch screen has finger prints and smudges on it all the time, drives me nuts. Then there is the glare..............Its my misses car, she likes it.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
We bought a 2017 and it has all that crap. Ive only driven it a couple times, to much going on. I like knobs, plus the touch screen has finger prints and smudges on it all the time, drives me nuts. Then there is the glare..............Its my misses car, she likes it.
My wife drove an Explorer for 15 years, we took care of it and gave it to her parents for their occasional driving and ease of ingress and egress...
Got her a 2018 Expedition with enough technology to give me absolute sensory overload.
I HATE THE SHIFT KNOB on the console...
I HATE THE PARK BRAKE that is an electric button...
That thing works just opposite of what it should.
I HATE THE AUTO STOP that is absolutely useless for our driving patterns and it should have a permanent setting other than me putting a trailer plug in it or screw with wires to trick the system.
I LOVE THE POWERTRAIN and the overall vehicle is AMAZING. Ford really nailed the power, comfort, ergonomics and usability of the vehicle and I give it a solid A for my growing-boys family.
The SYNC, NAV, AM-FM-XM etc gets a B+ because I should be able to dim or blank it with one touch and the updates are few for the searches.
I would use Android or Pioneer in my Mustang.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yeah, I've seen those but my point is I shouldn't have to plug anything into it to tell it not to shut off just because I stop at a stop sign. When I first heard about carmakers doing this to appease the green crowd I thought about the stop-start engine wear, shortened starter life and battery life. Probably the only thing my wife doesn't like about the Expedition. I know one thing, it will haul @$s.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
That's alright.. Have you seen the new GM and MOPAR Trucks???!? They shut down half the engine when you are driving from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders to save gas.....Total garbage... Ford Trucks don't have this...

The way around all of it for GM and Mopar to make the trucks drive V8 all the time is to buy one of these below. It cures the AFM (ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT) problems and issues...It's around $200 bucks and has rave reviews...worth every penny! ...but I'd never buy a newer GM truck anyway!!! By the way the Trannies in the new GM Truck Suck too...Lots of Electrical issues...drive slippages, etc. At Least Ford Trucks run on ALL EIGHT CYLINDERS ALL THE TIME!

https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/

Tony K.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My red one was butchered when I got it so I had no issues putting in something better. 6x9s in the back and 4in speakers in the kick panels and amp and EQ. Of course that was 1987 and I was 16.

My white is nearly pristine under the dash, no one ever put in any radio stuff or speaker wires. I am the 3rd owner and it still has the factory AM radio which works when the Royals play.

Or I can listen to my kids complain we don't have A/C in the car. :D

roog

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have the same issues in regards to the dash single DIN and door 4x6 speakers on a 66. No fun, but might as well go with it unless you really want to return to stock. Also, notice on the Revology car that there is no ashtray which cleans up the dash a little as well. Who uses the ashtray anymore?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have the same issues in regards to the dash single DIN and door 4x6 speakers on a 66. No fun, but might as well go with it unless you really want to return to stock. Also, notice on the Revology car that there is no ashtray which cleans up the dash a little as well. Who uses the ashtray anymore?
I do ! !
Not for smoking. That's where I keep little stuff like a good pen, some blank deposit slips, some spare fuses, and I actually have my AUX cord in there for my stereo so I can plug my phone into it and play Spotify or Slacker for tunes.

I think there's enough room in a stock 65-66 factory console for a 2DIN setup.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I do ! !
Not for smoking. That's where I keep little stuff like a good pen, some blank deposit slips, some spare fuses, and I actually have my AUX cord in there for my stereo so I can plug my phone into it and play Spotify or Slacker for tunes.

I think there's enough room in a stock 65-66 factory console for a 2DIN setup.
There is, but just barely. If you are really interested I can tell you how to do it.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 62 Posts