Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I want to change my timing gear. Lots of people advise me to go for a double roller chain instead of the standard single. Is this worth the extra money ? Is there enough room left between the timing cover and the block ?

Erwin, The Netherlands,

Visit my homepage at : http://home.hccnet.nl/e.pilage/index.htm

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I would sugest always using a double roller timing chain in any application. Yes there are other advantages, but I beleive the main one is insurance. The stock type fiber gear sets are weak at best, and they do strip and break with frequency. They also wear out much sooner.

A double roller chain set will last the life of a quality built engine and I have never seen one fail for any reason. That in itself is a good enough reason to spend the extra cost considering that 2 sets of stock gears will wear out in the same amount of time. The other factor is that when a stock type set breaks, it can cost much more in breakage of other parts.

Even in a totaly stock overhaul, that is the one part that I will always upgrade if I build the engine.

As far as fitment goes, it is a direct replacement if for the proper application.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

PS, that's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I am also convinced. Double roller next time. However, in the old forum there was a post that concerned gear alignment. If I remember correctly the point was this: with double roller it is even more important that the gears must be correctly aligned. Sorry, I can't elaborate that anymore, maybe Camachinist or some other tech guru will help with that.

Door handle first when cornering

1 - 3 of 3 Posts