Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I have purchased Doug's headers for several cars in the past all the way back to when they were Doug Thorley and they have been great headers.
The Coyote swap headers are beautiful, quality is awesome, except for the fact they hang 4" below the transmission! It's insane, I have no idea how they would work in any Mustang application, they belong in a fuel altered! I don't care what front suspension you use or what angle your motor is sitting at, 4" below your transmission is crazy!
Unfortunately I picked the wrong suspension for this swap and it is forcing me to make my headers at this point, I could have made some mods to the Doug's headers to make them work with this front suspension if it wasn't for them hanging so low. Now they are going to be major surgery.
Buyer beware!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our MTF headers fit perfect with no problems. Ours are also stainless steel not cheap cold rolled steel that's been coated.
I am betting by looking at yours they won't work with my suspension. But if you will sell me a set and PROMISE me you will take them back if they don't fit I will try it. I have purchased several things from you so far and have a few more things to purchase for this project.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have one customer out in California using the same set up, he said all he did was make one modification to the floor so it would clear. Since he was using their frame he had to completely hand build the entire floor.

·
Registered
185 Posts
These headers were designed to fit the TCI suspension. The TCI suspension puts the motor so high you need a crazy custom hood, which explains why these would be dragging on the ground in yours and most any other application. Doug's should specify that these headers are only good for the TCI application, which in turn isn't the most ergonomic for a coyote swap.

I would bet on the MTF full length stainless headers being the best bet. A '67 was shipped to another state from their shop to have these headers built to fit the coyote powered 67-68 Mustang build combo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If TCI suspension puts the motor THAT high, they should make it clear that the motor won't fit under the hood. I was regretting not going with TCI, now glad I didn't. I have a lot of hood clearance but this thing would need to go up a minimum of 4" to get even decent ground clearance.
Doug's (petronics) is completely useless dealing with too. They just don't seem to get the concept that it doesn't matter what suspension you are using, any header that hangs that far below a transmission is completely useless! If they picked TCI as a model for the transplant then bad choice on their part. I have no clue why any company would make a system that the motor won't fit under the hood! That's just crazy and same goes for a company that makes a header that won't fit under a car on a properly placed motor.
Sounds like these 2 companies are meant for each other, now I'm out $700.

·
Vendor
461 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya know, you and Doug's keep sending me pictures of the headers from terrible angles(like the first pic, what the heck am I supposed to tell about header height from that angle?), but I can tell your motor is ridiculously high in the other pics. I can also tell that there's something wrong between all the pictures you have, and Doug's sent me, compared to where the headers actually sit. So they prototyped on your car, someone missed something between prototype and production. Good LORD look at the tunnel work you guys did to fit that transmission! I'll say it again, glad I didn't go with your suspension!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Turtle Racing,
How many inches of ground clearance do you have from the bottom of your oil pan to the ground and also what is your ground clearance from the bottom of your Revo crossmember to the ground ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My oil pan is even with the cross member, as far as ground clearance I am not positive where that will be exactly yet. I run my car a little low profile. I had to notch my oil pan so the motor could sit a little lower too.
jmb, do you have a revo suspension?

·
Registered
74 Posts
TurtleRacing,
No I don't have the Revo suspension. Mine is a 1966 Mustang Coupe with a Coyote motor and a Tremec T56 Magnum using the TCI IFS suspension. With the lower A arms positioned horizontally parallel to the ground, I have about 4 or 4&1/2 inches from the bottom of my oil pan to the ground and the bottom of my crossmember sits also about 4&1/2 inches to the ground so I don't understand how would it be good for the Coyote to sit any lower than it does .

I also can close my hood without the need of a hood scoop. The Coyote does not have a supercharger but I can close the stock hood with the Coyote 5.0 plastic cover on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you fit a blower under your hood? I am betting no. Could you fit a Boss manifold without hood mods? I can, easily, I can also tell you that arms level I am going to have minimum 3" ground clearance. How much lower would I want my motor? I want my motor as low as physically possible, low center of gravity is not a bad thing. I have no idea why I would want my motor sitting against the hood without a blower and headers dragging the ground. I am not sure at all what you are trying to get at other than prove the the TCI motor sits way too high. I have seen the pics, I am glad I didn't go that way, I would much rather deal with the problems I am having.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I think what jmb was "getting at" was providng reference to his project. Thank you jmb.

Can you fit a blower under your hood? I am betting no. Could you fit a Boss manifold without hood mods? I can, easily, I can also tell you that arms level I am going to have minimum 3" ground clearance. How much lower would I want my motor? I want my motor as low as physically possible, low center of gravity is not a bad thing. I have no idea why I would want my motor sitting against the hood without a blower and headers dragging the ground. I am not sure at all what you are trying to get at other than prove the the TCI motor sits way too high. I have seen the pics, I am glad I didn't go that way, I would much rather deal with the problems I am having.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts