Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered new floor pan drain covers for my 1970 Mach 1 from NPD. They won't fit into the holes.

I just compared the new drain covers to an original I kept. They're the same size. The holes in the Spectra Premium replacement floor pans are smaller.

So, are the drain covers for earlier Mustangs smaller than the 1969/70 covers? No sure what drain hole covers I'm supposed to use on the new floor pans. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Thanks!

P

·
0 Posts
Silly you . . you need to buy the Concours drain covers to get ones that fit right :) No . . they do really exist :)

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Silly you . . you need to buy the Concours drain covers to get ones that fit right :) No . . they do really exist :)
Well, I compared the NPD reproduction drain covers to the drain covers in my original floor plan and they look the same. As I said, the holes in the reproduction floor pans are smaller than my original floor pans. There was one section of the floor pan that wasn't rusted through and I saved it.

I've been looking online and it appears some people install the drain plugs with the recessed area UP. I was trying to install them with the recessed area DOWN because that's the way it was in my original floor pan. So, which is correct? If the recessed area goes up, my new drain covers will fit. They will not fit the other way.

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the simple question is . why not open the floor holes up a bit?
Good question. I've already got the bottom of the car epoxy primed and painted all pretty with chassis paint. I'd rather not cut, grind and repaint just to get the floor drains to fit. And it's not just a hole. The floor pan holes have a lip that would be hard to recreate.

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just installed the same grommets from NPD in my original '66 pans and they fit perfect...if that sheds any light on your problem.
Are you talking about the rubber plugs? I'm trying to install the metal floor drain plugs.

P

·
0 Posts
Well unless you are worried about everything being concours correct, opening the hole some won't make that much of a difference. The lip is just a bevel, could be done with a hammer/dolly or some pliers. The covers can't be off much. I've never had any that could be made to work. Go at the hole with a rotary bit and you won't disturb much.

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always thought recessed area up was correct, to make the floor more level/even.
Based on what I'm seeing online, it appears the earlier cars had the recessed area installed up, but the 69/70 had it down.

As they are, the top area of the plug sits about 1/16" of an inch above the pan. I supposed I could simply put a generous bead of seam sealer around the hole and install as is. There's no hurry. This is just something I happen to mess with tonight.

P

·
0 Posts
Well I believe, you will find some variances . . as the stamping wasn't the same for all. I 'spose, different suppliers. So I think you will find some different sizes and installations.

·
Registered
35,234 Posts
I've been looking online and it appears some people install the drain plugs with the recessed area UP. I was trying to install them with the recessed area DOWN because that's the way it was in my original floor pan. So, which is correct? If the recessed area goes up, my new drain covers will fit. They will not fit the other way.
The oval covers install with the hump UP. If yours were the other way, a prior owner flipped them. The upward hump prevents having a low spot in the carpet.
This is the correct orientation:

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picture of the OE drain cover on my 9/19/68 Metuchen Mach 1. This is the right side. The left is the same. Brian
Yes! That's exactly how I'm trying to install my drain covers. It's confusing because the 67 and later cars have a oval ring stamped into the cover. The ring goes down. The earlier cars had a flat area stamped into the cover that goes up.

Thanks for the picture!

I plan to install Dynamat on the floor pans. I was thinking the drain covers will likely fit OK on top of the Dynamat if that would work.

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The oval covers install with the hump UP. If yours were the other way, a prior owner flipped them. The upward hump prevents having a low spot in the carpet.
This is the correct orientation:
Thanks! I was installing them correctly, but confusing people. When I said "recessed area", I was referring to the oval ring. It's that which should be down. That oval ring is slightly larger than the holes in my floor pans.

Another oddity is my floor pans have four holes. My original pans had only two. Again, these are Spectra Premium pans. They fit well and the metal is a good thickness. This drain hole plug issue is the only issue I've had with them. (And, yeah. If had to it all over again, I would have installed a one-piece floor.)

·
Registered
35,234 Posts
A few points.

I have seen expensive "show cars" with the drain caps upside-down.

Recessed area: People often don't realize there were two basic types of cap, the rather plain 65-67, and the more elaborate 68-73.

Your new floors have 4 holes because they are actually 65-68 floors. The only way to get floors with the correct ribbing is to get the 69-70 one-piece floor.

I agree with your one-piece floor conclusion. On reflection, the replacement of the whole floor is less work than two long or four short pieces.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
"I always thought recessed area up was correct, to make the floor more level/even."

No. Absolutely not.

The side with the "Bulge" faces UP. The "Concave" side ALWAYS faces down to the ground. That is the way FORD installed them.

**Also, The style of the floor plugs change after 1967. 1965-1967 Metal Floor Pluges were the same. 1968 and later Metal Floor Plugs had a ribbed center surround and the "Bulge" was more pronounced. So Depending on the year of your car, Make sure that you are using the right ones. Just a TIP....

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts