Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new here i a memeber of customfastbackca.com
okay so i was one of the people who gave raymond carmody (DRAKE CUSTOMS) $13000 for a new coupe to fastback conversion and a eleanor kit.As we know drake customs burned alot of people for money and cars.. it all started jan 2009 they needed 9000 to start with the shell so i sent them a payment using my credit card company (capital one).the car was done they said june 2009 they needed 2000 to make the eleanor kit they called me about a few weeks later and said they need 2000 more to install the kit and then the car is getting shipped so i sent the payment..i called them about a month later and this is when everything started going wrong they kept telling me about they had a hard time getting a clean title for my car and to give them afew weeks so everyday for 6 months it was the same story about a title seach. so june 2010 i called and said i want my money back they cryed saying we have no money so i called my credit card company and asked for cash back from the 13000 and for 3 months my credit car company said they cant help me its past 90 days.so i called bobby morris from drake customs and he said we will sent up a payment plan after the new year. i called then on dec 20 and the number of drake customs is not in service. 928-855-3733. i dont know what to do im out of 13000 dollars and i just got engaged and can really use that money..i know the have a new company called recon classics 1877-647-1193 but no one is there to pickup the voice mail just says they dont have people to anwser the phone to leave a message and they will call me back. i think some how we should get everyone together who got burned from drake and set a time and day and fly to arizona and go to there 3 addresses i had found.i even found bobby morris home # and address we can go there too. if anyone knows what i can do please let me know or if anyone knows anyone with the same problem give them my email [email protected]. if anyone is in arizona i would pay you to get my money back. lets get these guys why should they have our hard earned money!!!!!!!!!!

bobby morris you can see them mustangs in the background

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i have all the paper work but i dont think i can sue cause if they closed up drake customs theres nothing for me to get them. cause i did business with drake customs not ray..

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Contact a lawyer & see what they reccomend you can do. I would do this first.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Whoever 'bought' Drake customs may also have liability for their debt depending on the state. Usually, the same guy or group 'buys' their own company back to shed debt because the first company is in bankruptcy. A slimy practice which would seem to fit this guy's earlier actions. Lawyer up, but keep in mind what you may get back versus what you will probably spend getting it. Might be better to just leave a burning bag of dog-do on his front porch.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If it were me, I think it would totally be worth a plane ticket to go out there and at least talk to the motherf$%ker in person.

·
Registered
36,825 Posts
There's a Mustang shop near here with 35+ years in the business. If you gave them $13,000, $13,000 worth of work would be performed, and you'd have the photos to prove it. You wouldn't have had any runaround in the intervening weeks, either.

I'd say getting a "runaround" early in the game was a huge red flag. Get a lawyer, see what you can get.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Lawyer Up!

I have a friend here in Michigan who does a lot with old mustangs and one of his mustang friends is also a lawyer....it may be worth asking around in your mustang circles for a lawyer, they may take additional interest in helping you out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don't mind can you ask your friend if I have a case and what should I do..I might be going to arizona sooner then I thought. Does anyone know anyone with the same claim with drake customs who wants to go down there...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would need more info before I have enough to tell him - I am sure he will ask straight away what type of paper trail you have for the money you have given Drake. Do you have any confirmation of the order? Receipts for money provided? Other?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I might be going to arizona sooner then I thought.
I guess it depends on your level of self control.
If someone was in process of ripping me off for 13K, there would be a good chance I'd loose my cool face to face and end up in jail. Especially if I couldn't make any head way.

I guess there is some chance that confronted by a live human being they might be willing to come up with some money, but who knows.

There are a few threads on here about Drake Customs, kind of hard to search for them because you get a lot of threads for Scott Drake, but here are 2:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/611395-dynacorn-1965-fastback-3.html

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/610146-drake-custom-66-shells-4.html

From the second thread:
Drake Customs | Rip-off Report: 639410
Drake Customs, Lake Havasu City, AZ : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
Drake Customs, Lake Havasu City AZ 86403 -- MerchantCircle.com
Review: Drake Customs - Topix

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know that's why I don't wanna go down there face to face cause I'm from Ny and we are kknown for short fueses..
I have 3 bills they gave me after I made payment to them I also have credit card bills with the charges on it.. I don't know what else I would need ?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Do the bills confirm payment and work to be completed? Do you have emails about the title troubles? I imagine that those types of things would be helpful?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Man, sorry to hear that. I got burned by a home builder for about 16K a couple years ago. SOB took my money and filed for bankruptcy, and I never got a dime back. Unfortunately, if they closed up shop, and the guy has no money, you're probably SOL. The system is so corrupt, it's setup to protect the criminals and screw the good hardworking people. I seriously thought about going to his house and doing some bad things to him, but in the the end I would have wound up in jail and he would have probably won a lawsuit against me for assault. Still, contact an attorney. If he committed fraud, then you may have a chance to go after the owner personally, if he has anything.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I will send an email to my friend and see if he can contact his lawyer friend, I will let you know what I hear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trying to get my car back from Drake/recon

Thanks a lot mako!!
Hi guys, I am in Australia and I posted my story on another VMF thread. To cut to the chase, they have my 67 FB that I sent there to have a new floor and quarters put on along with some other work. I have the title for the car, as it was a car I had already bought that I sent them to have the work done before shipping out here.

I tend to think the money is gone, they are into me for about $7500. But at the very least, I want what is left of my car back and maybe the parts I paid for, so I can send it somewhere else to try and start over. Being in Australia, lawyers and direct visits by me are problematic, but if anyone does go there or knows someone who could find their premises and get my car back, I would appreciate it. I'm not looking for someone to give him the hiding he deserves, that is pointless, just to get my car before they disappear forever with it (if they haven't already) I would pay any reasonable costs to recover the car, but after my experience with Drake, I would need to be cautious of course.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You have to consider if you are going to throw good money after bad. Hiring a lawyer costs money. You don't have any receipts. It will turn into a he said - she said about the value of the work they performed ASSUMING they still exist.

The guys that gave Unique Performance money got almost nothing back. And we are talking $100K and up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts