Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions and voices of experience here. The Drill Doctor brand keeps cropping up (great pun, huh?). What say you on this subject?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,378 Posts
I REALLY like my Drill Doctor. I had an adjustable vice type sharpening setup that was a pain to use. The Drill Doctor is easy-peasy and enables me to get a lot more use out of cheapo drill bits. I bought a set of 29 titanium bits from Harbor Freight on sale for like $15. I found that about half of the smaller sized ones were improperly sharpened from the factory. Not a problem. I liked the reharpened bits enough that I went back and bought another set. Two sets of decent bits for less than I usually pay for half a dozen good cobalt bits. That means I can reserve my better bits and use the cheapos for day to day stuff which is more likely to break them. (IE, let dummies borrow them.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
For whatever reason, I can't seem to get my drill doctor to work worth a crap. It's probably me but I have RTFM and watched the video and am otherwise a reasonably capable mechanically inclined person. I have had to learn to sharpen them by hand on my grinding wheel.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Drill DR here too- 750 something as I recall. Sharpens the hell out of the bits and very easy to use as GypsyR mentioned..

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I have a Drill Doc, it's pretty good for most bits, but not worth a flip on the small ones, 1/8 and smaller.

I found a deal on Amazon, a 10 pack of 1/8" Ti coated HSS bits for $9.02

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
My Drill Doctor, 20 plus years old was made in America! As a carpenter I have used it hundreds of times. It works great on bits 3/16 and larger. The neat thing is if you leave off the split point part of the sharpening process you can enlarge holes after your pilot hole without breaking your wrist because the bit will still drill fine but without the grab.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
this is good to know. i cant believe how expensive bits are nowadays

i never did pick out a fathers day gift. this just might do it :)

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Or the fact that they're hard to find made in USA....

I used to have a blurb that I think was from SAAC's official magazine on a Phil Remington drill sharpening tip
that made them cut much better and last longer but I think it died when he did.... can't find it anywhere.

Always wondered about the Drill Dr. I spend quite a few bucks on drills every year.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

i never did pick out a fathers day gift. this just might do it :)
Yeah, I'll have to consider sharpening after I retire, and no longer have a source for "free" bits. They go through them like popcorn at work.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason I asked about this is I've always just used the grinding wheel and hand/eye method. Now I have all these bits that could be reused if sharpened. Many. Seems a Drill Dr. might be a good thing to have.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
I just use a grinding wheel. I use to work at a place where I had to do a lot of drilling and tapping including stainless. I got pretty good at it. I would make a second back cut then I would take a sharpening stone to the leading edge to knock off the sharp edge which would keep it from chipping. You can put 2 nuts together to check the tip angle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts