Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for tips / advice before I start...I'm installing 4X6 speakers and reproduction grills in my '66 coupe doors this weekend. I have templates etc, but the biggest challenge sounds like proper placement of the wiring holes and access with an ordinary drill.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Man, I wish you wouldn't do this...unbutchered doors are getting very hard to find. You'll find out that the speaker placement in the doors is a crappy placement, and you'll not be able to hear a thing out of them. The sound just goes into the seat cushions.

As for your question: there are dimples: one on the door jamb, the other on the door. They are offset, and factory size was 3/4" diameter.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I did this on my 70. Fortunately, one of my doors was a deluxe interior door so the hole was already drilled in the leading edge of the door. The hole in the jamb is pre-drilled at the factory, but has a metal plate or rubber plug in it. The location on the door is marked by ford with a slight dimple. This is the center point. I used a Milwakee bi-metal hole saw drill bit in a 1/2 inch drill and had no problem drilling out the hole. I don't know what diameter you need for your year car. This is important cause the grommet part of door speaker wiring loom it tough to install. With the hole too small, it would be very difficult. I am thinking I used a 2inch or 2 1/8 inch diameter hole saw bit. Not sure. This is on a 70. I think the most secure way to do this is find someone with a 65 or 66 with door speakers and measure where they put the hole, perhaps make a cardboard template. If you have a 90 degree drill it will be a lot lot easier cause otherwise you have to take the fender off in order to obtain the angle and space to drill into the front edge of the door.

good luck!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with Midlife about butchering the doors and he's also probably right about the sound since theres not alot of room between the door and the seat to begin with, now add a speaker grill and theres even less room for sound to escape.
A better way that might even provide better sound would be a set of kick panels made for speakers available at many mustang parts houses (no drilling required).

John

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with everyone here, don't do it. You can find aftermarket kick panels with speakers already in them. They sound aweseome too, I know because I put in my coupe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts