Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to paint my car and am wondering about removing the chrome drip edge. Has anyone ever done this or just taped it off. I know it would be easier to tape it, but some of the seam sealer behind it is cracked and needs to be redone in small areas. If it needs to be removed, can it be done without ruining it. Is there aftermarket drip edge chrome available? Thanks.
Tim
'69 Mustang Fastback

·
Registered
480 Posts
It wasnt hard to remove my 68's. Didnt bend them at all. What you have to do is just get one little part lose and work from there. Dont pull on a loose end piece. Try and grip it really firmly just up from the place its already come up and just pull straight up making sure to keep the preasure even over the area youre holding. It took a little while but i got mine up no problem. Hope this helps

-Daniel

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You can remove them but be very careful not to damage them reproductions don't fit very well. Gary

·
Registered
570 Posts
Never did it but was always told You could use a small bottle opener (not the pointed can end but the bottle end) use a rag to keep from scratching the molding and You should be able to work it off.Good Luck!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I worked on mine over a period of weeks and was never able to get the center sections (the horizontal part) to release, even with patient pulling, using tools, etc. I don't think they were ever removed for either prior paint job. Finally bent one and gave up, tore 'em off, hope the repros fit well enough. :p

·
Registered
309 Posts
I pulled two sets from Junked cars about a month ago with nothing but a screw driver and gently working from both ends inward.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Huh. Mine were just plain frozen on and every tweak I could think of led to bending. Rats - I would have liked to save the originals, which needed only buffing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts