Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was just wondering if chopping off and smoothing the drip rails above the windows would cause any, well, dripping? Newer cars don't have them... but there might be something I'm missing there. Thanks.
Max Kern

G

·
0 Posts
The drip rails are built into the upper door jamb assemblies on new cars.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Ummm I'm not sure but isn't the bottom of the drip rail the attaching lip for the roof?

·
Registered
938 Posts
If you get rid of the drip rail you won't have anywhere to fasten the old steel roof carrier for your surfboard!!!
Found an oldd set in my attic andd plan to use them.

·
Registered
815 Posts
This is just my opinion, but as you may know the drip rails are there to channel water coming off the roof and the windshield away from the side glass. This is mostly done to ensure visibility when it's raining. Woithout them you may get some leakage when driving in the rain. I don't think it will leak when the car is just parked in the rain.
That may not seem to be too bad but consider that anytime water is getting inside the car you're asking for more rust problems.

To be honest, if it were me I would remove the rails. If I found after that this is causing serious problems I'd have to transplant them from another car.

Let me know how it goes.

G

·
0 Posts
Cut off that drip rail, and you'll lose the roof skin! The top surface of the drip rail is the edge of the roof skin where it is spot welded in place. Besides, why would you want a Mustang to look like a newer car? Maybe act like a new car with fuel injection and rack and pinion steering.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I find them sort of ugly, and mine are all rusty. I'll think on this one and get back to you guys.

Max Kern

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I would not remove them, for reasons cited above.

But if they are rusty, and you consider them ugly, why not repair the rust (if possible) and then disguise them ? Remove the chrome trim and paint them the same color as the rest of the body... They'll stand out less......Dickson

1 - 10 of 10 Posts