Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to replace my drip rail moldings. They are dented pretty bad. I don't want crap ones either.

Scott Drake catalog refers to their's as "economy" moldings. Doesn't inspire confidence in them.

NPD sells 2 version. One is described as "improved, better fit". Other vendors descriptions seem vague as well.

Anyone have experience or recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I don't know about '68s, but I got some for my '64.5, and they were crap. I don't know if they were Scott Drake's but I got them from CJs. From what I've heard, those repros aren't very good, and you're better off refinishing your old ones. I wonder if Kelly has started her business doing that yet?

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I recently installed some of the "better" ones from NPD. EXCELLENT! The $ difference seemed trivial in the grand scheme of things. The curves were spot on once you get it started with the correct overhang on the front. Hang it from the top lip only to check. Make sure the metal it's going on is straight standing and equal gap around. If the trim was dented the metal flange is likely bent towards the roof.
Build up of fresh paint/primer layers made it impossible, I eventually sanded the lip some.
No tools! Hand power only!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The original moldings are stainless, at least they are on my 67 Fastback with exterior decor group. You should be able to get them refurbished and have then have originals in the car. I don't don't have a reference for you but that's what I would look into. That's what I'm going to do with mine.
Yup, they're stainless. I'm gonna have mine redone at some point, my guy has a guy, but other things are taking priority at the moment. I could probably shine them a bit with some 0000 steel wool and polishing compound and elbow grease if I really wanted to do something before getting them redone.

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
I bet one of us could devise a hand-held brake to pull over that metal that would straighten dents with them still on the car....hmmm.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts