Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on stripping the paint on my '67 Fastback and found a good rust spot in the drip rail. The pillar has a little rust but it looks like it can be cleaned up. The drip rail rusted through, but only the bottom 3 inches or so on the front. My plan to repair was: remove the bottom several inches of the drip rail from a coupe at the spot welds, remove the same size from my car, then weld it back on. Most of it would be covered with trim and the gutter section would be covered by seam sealer.

So I found a junk coupe and cut off a section of the window pillar. When I got it home I found that the drip rail edge is much larger on the coupe. There is no way the drip rail molding would fit over it. I've attached a couple of pictures showing the rust and a comparison between the two drip rails. (The green rail is the fastback and the blue rail is the coupe)

Does anyone know, are the drip rails different sized between the coup and fastback? Do I need to find the drip rail from a fastback that someone has already started chopping up?

Thanks,

Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
35,856 Posts
Making metal things smaller is why Da Vinci perfected the file. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Fix the holes in yours.

Put copper on the back side, in the groove and use a combination of a MIG welder and a TIG filler rod of the same metal (ER70-S6 usually). Start the arc on the TIG rod and use it to control the heat so it does not burn back the rusty thin metal. Keep feeding the TIG filler as you work the arc.

You will need to be creative to get the weld ground smooth. A cut off wheel is thin and will let you grind down the hole. Put something the metal on the sides to keep from cutting into stuff you want to leave along.

You will need to media blast the area down to bare metal first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts