Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring my 64 1/2 coupe and I need to know which color "striping" to paint on the drive shaft. The car is a D code 289 with automatic transmission. Also, is it actually paint or some sort of decal they wrapped around it? The search I did had several pics and it looked like paint.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The stripe was paint applied with a brush by hand without tape. Can't help you with the colors but someone here will. If you don't have the benefit of knowing the colors that were originally on the shaft then you should thoroughly research the topic before you reapply them. It is not a good idea to copy restorations shown in books or magazines unless you can confirm they are correct.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I was very fortunate when I sought info on the driveshaft marking for the PC (4/20/64 build, 260 auto.). The car that was three units ahead of mine on the assembly line (mine was 116036, the other was 116033) was featured in Mustang Monthly a few years ago. It was also a 260 auto. car, a black convertible with red interior. It was a highly preserved car from Georgia that the new owner painstakingly recorded all the underbody markings. He sent me photos and drawings, and when I stripped the driveshaft, I found the faint original markings matched what he provided!

I can't guarantee that the markings would be the same on a D-code 289 auto. car, but here's how mine turned out:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2683000-2683999/2683634_26_full.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts