Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some 1" yellow numbers on my drive shaft.

http://www.fototime.com/E4848D67FF03F97/orig.jpg

I was taking it out of the rust remover bath and started wiping it. It looks like I removed most of it before I knew they were there. :bricks:

I'm not sure how good the pic shows the numbers, but I can read _678-4A

Is this the part number?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Here is what I have discovered over the last twenty-some years of looking at these stenciled figures on driveshaft tubes. This information is strictly for a 65 - 66, but I am sure the stencil appears on other years as well. So here goes: Most, in fact I would like to say all but of course have not seen ALL of them, have the same number. The stencil is 19078-(??) I have images of a couple of very clearly stenciled tubes from dry, well preserved cars, built in the fall of 65, and both end in 4S. Others have written to me with numbers ending in 4E. At this point I am not certain what the last number and letter indicate, although I can relate to you that the Shelby crowd firmly beleive these last two chracters indicate a date. I am not ready to buy into this, but perhaps evidence will be presented here that will prove this to be true. I just do not know at this point. I was not going to bring up this subject, seems that I have posted way too many questions here about this sort of mystery and sure do not want to wear out my welcome, BUT since you brought up the subject maybe others will chime in. Jack Brooks at "Dead Nuts On" has spent some time trying to solve this mystery as well, but the last report was that he did not know the meaning either. Maybe he or someone who talks to him will help out too. If those of you who have these stenciled letters and numbers on your driveshaft tube could post an image to let us know what you have and the date of your car maybe someone could see a pattern. Once again, I think that quite a few people are interested in this bit of historical trivia, so lets see what happens with this thread.

·
Registered
135 Posts
here is an image i found while detailing the underside of a dearborn 1966 convertible with a build date of 21J.

the only difference between my image and yours is the last letter on the stencil. A versus F.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o151/NOSMustangSupplies/000_0130.jpg

im sure there will be someone who can advise what you have found. from previous discussions i have had with others i was informed that there where many drive shafts made per length of tubing and the company who produced the tubing put only one reference stamp/stencil per length of material. which makes sense as i have cleaned many drive shafts before and only found a small number with corresponding markings.

the only other significant find i have made was the stencil in the same text, size and colour with the words CHARMAC. there should also be colured bands around the drive shaft as well in different positions.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Short story ;)

The number identified the diameter, "part" number and when the tube was made by the provider.

So there are a number of different "sequences" of letters and numbers. The sequence (since it is for the maker of the tube not the driveline) likely has little to do with when the car was built

Each tube produced (once cut) three drivelines so basically every third driver line would have one of these yellow stenciled sequences

This from a gentleman that ran the distribution plant for San Jose plant and dealerships during the 60's

Have a fair number of original examples (pictures and drivelines) ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a NJ 3/66 car FIWI.

I did also find a pink stripe about an 1" away from the white one I found earlier.

So I take it the number is just a vendor number?

The drive shaft finish should be natural correct?

G

·
Yes, natural finish. If you have any pitting on the tube, you might consider getting the original ends put on a new tube. Cast-blast painted drive shafts are blah. :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I have any pitting.... :lol: :lol: :roflao: :roflao: :roflao: :roflao:

I was thinking of turning and sanding it smoother. I'll check the cost of re-tubing the drive shaft.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you saying 66 is the same as 67???

I did email and asked for specific 66 parts with no luck. He only had the grease fitting type.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Jack did my driveshaft and it turned out great, however I had to provide the parts. Good luck finding non-greasable u-joints, particularly the inside clip variety. Best bet is to find NOS replacements, grease them and put plugs in them.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sorry Charles, getting my threads confused... :loco:

Their products are real nice. I'm checking locally to get the DR re-tubed first. I talked with Jack about u-joints, so we are both in search of some originals. He said he can rebuild the originals but needs a good core to start with.

66kgt

What did you do, just send him the original DR, did did you provied the measurments and parts?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
66kgt said:
.......Good luck finding non-greasable u-joints, particularly the inside clip variety.....
Think I left a set in a yard a few months ago. Should make another trip and get them ONCE I'M OFF OF JURY DUTY!!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I had NOS replacements on hand (greasable but look just like original) so didn't search out originals, and yes Jack can rebuild good originals. Wasn't going to let an easily replaceable part hold off getting the kar back driveable and ready for Pensacola. Unless you are doing a thoroughbred car you can put plugs in the greasable joints and pass judging with flying colors and have the benefit of being able to lube the joints at a later date if you need to.

I cut the ends off the original DS and sent those to him along with NOS u-joints and slip yoke. Jack specializes in 67+ and has very little 65-66 parts available at this point in time. You could probably do the same thing locally but I couldn't find anyone where I'm at that would do it with original driveshaft ends, they all wanted to put new spicer ends on the new tube.

Jeff, when you get off jury duty I'll take those u-joints!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts