Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have my drive shaft out for the T5 swap, I was going to clean it up. I took the yoke off and then I thought of a question. Was the drive shaft balanced with the yoke on or off? I'm asking because I didn't mark it before I took it off. So if it goes back on 180' from how it came off, will it be off balance and vibrate?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I would get it all dialed in. Re balanced with spicer U-joints. Piece of mind. That’s just me.
not unless your cut for time

·
Administrator
19,787 Posts
Though our local driveline shop does about anything you want with a driveshaft, they have no capability of balancing one when the yoke is installed. (I asked.) Just not how they do it. It may be that other shops do, but these particular folks stay pretty busy and don't.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Seems like a crap shoot but "some" T5 installs require a driveshaft mod which would end your problems. When I have the length changed, I bring the entire shaft. To balance one must be cheap because to have one changed, the shop I use replaces the entire tube and balances it for ~$100. Might just want to take it in and have it balanced anyway. Otherwise just install it, if you have an issue, rotate the yoke 180...

·
Registered
4,291 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. Once I get my 3.55 third member in I'll measure and see what I need to do. There is a place local I can go.

·
Registered
20,335 Posts
I never worried about the yoke, never had a problem. I'm currently running a junkyard aluminum driveshaft out of a 94 4 door 2WD Explorer. Perfect fit, even the same 1310's. Paid I think $95 with shipping.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just reinstall it and run it. Plenty of drivelines are balanced without the yoke.
I just pulled mine, had U-joints put in, and balanced. I did not mark it at the yoke. Reinstalled today.

OMG so much better with new U-J's !

·
Administrator
19,787 Posts
Actually more important than balancing is to use quality ujoints that fit correctly. Some cheap joints will allow a shaft to be positioned slightly off center. Usually only by a few thousandths. All the balancing in the world won't help that. Such problems are very difficult to see and actually not all that easy to measure either. Spicer joints as a brand tend to be very good. Original Ford joints are great if you can reuse/keep them.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@GypsyR I was planning on using my original u-joints. They look good. Just put some fresh grease thru the zerk fittings. I have ones with the inner c clamps. How do I tell if they should be replaced? I had NO vibration problems before.

·
Administrator
19,787 Posts
Generally you just move them and feel if they are smooth all the way through their travel. If one feels loose or "notchy" you need to replace it. If they feel good, like as not they are good.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Actually more important than balancing is to use quality ujoints that fit correctly. Some cheap joints will allow a shaft to be positioned slightly off center. Usually only by a few thousandths. All the balancing in the world won't help that. Such problems are very difficult to see and actually not all that easy to measure either. Spicer joints as a brand tend to be very good. Original Ford joints are great if you can reuse/keep them.
Yup ----> when the [very reputable] shop here in Phoenix did the balance on mine they said it needed no weights.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts