Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a bad feeling about this problem. ('67 vert)
The door wants to sit about 3/8" below where it should to shut. The passenger door is perfect. The gap at the bottom of the front of the door is about 3/8" and the top is about 1/8". The front was 'pinched' before I put the one piece export brace and monte carlo bar in last week. I removed the old braces while the car was jacked up on center support, set both braces, then bolted everything together. This moved the drive side fender out about 1/4" away from the 'cowl' piece.
Do I have one problem or two? door and/or frame rail sag?
Is it better to pull fender, fix/replace hinge and see if that is it? Or should I seek professional help( mechanic wise) first?
Thanx for the help in advance.
Gordy

G

·
0 Posts
On my son's 68. we are having a problem with driver door sag as the hinges are really wearing out bad, but not to the degree you describe.

G

·
0 Posts
Gordy, just for your info, wasn't happy with my driver door alignment, and was about to take bumper, fender, etc off to fix it.I was able to loosen all the fender bolts to get in to the door hinges. Wasn't looking forward to taking everything off, but you can reach in there if you're careful. LOL

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
LIft up on the door. If you can lift it it ti alaign it your hinges are shot. Put your jack on the car like you were going to jack up the front left tire. If once the car is jacked up your foor can now close bad things are happening on the frame. If niether f these make the door close right then maybe you can just align the door and everything is happy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the replies.
I'll try jacking up the car tomorrow to see how big the hole in the money pit has gotten.
I could barely move the door so I think the hinges might be salvageable.
gordy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts