Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey team, I have a 64.5 that the door will close fine but when I lock it with the key it will open slightly. Yesterday the door wouldn't shut it just bounced back but on the second attempt it shut fine. My plan is to take the panel off today and hose everything down with WD-40 it hopes that it's just stuck parts. Has anyone had this same problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
I haven't had your particular problem but I did get to the point that the door latch would stick open when I opened my door and then when I tried to shut it it wouldn't re-latch. It just bounced back open. I did the same thing you described doing but I used gun cleaning solvent on the latch mechanism to un-stick it and then oiled it with Rem oil. I'm not sure if your problem is in the door latch or is it the lock mechanism. You might want to look at the lock also or it may be the lock rod and one or both the 2 end mechanisms that the lock rod is attached to.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I'm gonna take a guess here as it has been awhile since I've been tinkering around inside the door of my 65. It could be the lock rod somehow binding up with the latch rod coming down from the outside door handle, or the door latch assembly inside to door is so gunked up with old grease and crud that when you go to lock the door, everything is sticking at the latch assembly and causing it to move. WD-40 is a very, very poor lubricant. You would be better off removing the latch assembly from inside the door and giving it a good cleaning, and then reinstalling it. However, there are some old plastic parts in there and tight spaces, so it tends to take longer than you think it will.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I’ll try to clean it out tomorrow. I’ll blast it with air and oil. Not going to take the whole mechanism out due to time. I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts