Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The driver side door on my 71 Mustang Mach1 does not want to shut/latch unless I lift up a ,little on the handle. A little harder to lift when inside. Doesn't take much lifting up and not all the time. I have checked all the bolts on hinges and they are tight.
How can I lift the door slightly?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you checked your hinge pins? They are probably worn and need to be replaced. This with some hinge adjustments will most likely fix your problems.

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
Then you can try loosening the bolts for the door just enough to be able to shift it with some force, and align the gaps, but mask all the edges of the door, fender and quarter then be careful not to chip the paint.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The door seems solid, no play in the hinges.
My nylon bushing around the latch pin is torn up. It was suggested I try replacing it. The problem is the shipping costs more than the latch striker pin.
Then it was suggested I just replace the nylon bushing. The problem I am now having is I can't get the washer off in order to remove the bushing. I would have thought it would just slip over the threaded area but no it does not. So I tried unscrewing it off. It starts but at the first thread it goes crooked and can't move it, or it just goes back off the thread and spins. I have soaked it in WD40 rust penetrator as well as spraying it with last lubricate.
I am at a loss as to how to get the washer off. Don't want to damage the threads.
Any suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts