Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am doing the one piece floor pan...so I decided since it comes with the torque box covers I might as well replace them will I am at it. I pop them off today and Whata you know the whole bottom of the drivers side torque box is rusted out ... great so I start tapping it with a hammer I realize so is the frame rail right about where the springs bolt up rusted with a nice crack in it...anyway do you guys think I should replace the rear torque box which is surprisingly pricey ($200) or just cut out those two pieces and patch it? I am no expert at welding at all and truthfully don’t think I’ll be able to do that rear torque box any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Two options, learn to weld or pay someone. You should easily be able to find a local welder who can come over and fix you up. Given that you have a one piece pan how where you figuring to weld that in?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Better check the frame rail, it’s often bad for a few inches as well.

I would replace the box. It isn’t to bad if you have basic welding skills. I was a relative beginner and managed just fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two options, learn to weld or pay someone. You should easily be able to find a local welder who can come over and fix you up. Given that you have a one piece pan how where you figuring to weld that in?
plug welds I could do for the one piece pan but welding in a patch and making it look good that’s another story

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Better check the frame rail, it’s often bad for a few inches as well.

I would replace the box. It isn’t to bad if you have basic welding skills. I was a relative beginner and managed just fine.
what did you do the whole frame rail? Or buy just the rear torque box? they sell for about the same price.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
what did you do the whole frame rail? Or buy just the rear torque box? they sell for about the same price.
I had a parts car with perfect torque boxes and frame rail. My car had pretty rusty torque boxes, but both rails were cut through by rust and the parking brake cables rubbing on them. They hadn’t been secured properly. After years of rubbing they cut right through. So I transferred the box and about 18” of rail. The box is mostly plug welds, the rail I reinforced with thick steel plate inside, then ran a bead down the seams. Came out well.

Before

And after

I considered juste replacing the whole rail since I had them, but it looked too hard to get them into the well above he axle without tearing up a lot more of the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts