Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 coupe. The drivers side window will not stay rolled up all the way. I can roll it up fine, but as I drive the window drops about a half inch so that air starts to come in the car. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Jeff Crumpley
Austin, Texas
68 302 j-code coupe
99 5.0 Eddie Bauer Explorer

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Get a new regulator and install.

John L. Anschutz
Allen, TX
68 Diamond Blue Coupe - 302
68 Acapulco Blue Coupe - I6 - 200
http://www.dallas.net/~jjmsansc/parts/Stangs.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, John. I thought that was probably the case.

Jeff Crumpley
Austin, Texas
68 302 j-code coupe
99 5.0 Eddie Bauer Explorer

·
4,129 Posts
After your done with yours can you fix mine? Just kidding but yes that is the problem. Have fun cause its going to be a real PITA to change, that is why have not fixed my yet. fd

1967 GT coupe been in my garage since 1974
1993 Ranger ExtCab 4.0L daily driver
1996 Aerostar wifes ride
Those that know it all are willing to learn something new, those that think that they know it all don't know anything.

·
Registered
673 Posts
When I stripped my door down for paint and repairs, I had to take the entire window assembly out. The biggest pain stemmed form removing the parts in the correct order (ford blown up details are a must).

There are two steel stops that hinder the window from being rolled up too high, the front one is easily accessed from a large open section behind the door panel, while the rear is hidden behind a piece of black tape. I didn't see the tape (because I'm an idiot), but when I finally did, things got a lot easier (take the tape off, roll the window down, and the bolt for the rear stop is easily removed). The rear stop is easy to remove, but a pain in the a$$ to put back on /forums/images/icons/frown.gif. Make sure to remove the stops first. If you disconnect the regulator first, the stops get very hard to remove, as you have to hold the entire mechanism while you remove the stops.

There are three small screws (bolts?) that hold the glass and frame to a rail that the wheels of the regulator run on. If you can get these screws out, it's a lot easier. They are phillips head screws that are most easily accessed when the window is at various heights (you have to remove one, roll the windows down to remove another, and so on). I had to drill them out (carefully, and replace with stainless steel (hopefully they won't be seized for next time /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)).

Do one side at a time (if you need to do both), and take your time marking each little bolt as to it's position. I'd also take DETAILED photos and notes of the position of each adjustable nut/bolt. I believe there are four or five different adjusting points. While you're there, you may want (NEED) to replace your weatherstripping (VENT WINDOW RUNNER, DOOR SEALS, BELT LINE).

Thespazardman

/forums/images/icons/blush.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif/forums/images/icons/frown.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/mad.gif/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

[color:purple]1968 C Code Coupe with C4
swapped in J Code and Toploader 4 speed
</font color=purple>

/forums/images/icons/blush.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif/forums/images/icons/frown.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/mad.gif/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might want to see what position the window crank is in when the window is rolled up. When I first put my door back together, I installed the crank in about a 10 or 11 o'clock position. Vibration would make it move down to six o'clock. Remounting the crank so it was at about 6'oclock with the window rolled up solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Might just be missing a roller, that's what the problem was with my 1/4 window. I guess it popped of somehow and started falling down. Alot easier and cheaper alternative!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OOOOOOOoooohhh!!!! Not the regulator re-build!!!! Thyat sucked more than sanding every square inch of the floor pans. Good luck, and be sure the have the Ford diagrams, as it is a bitch to get everything in-out-in and right the first time. Be sure to lube everything while you're in there.

1966 C-Code Convertible, 59 Edsel Villager
Charlotte, NC
New Cars Have No Soul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts