Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't get the answers I need with the search feature, so maybe someone can help me here. For concours competition, what is the best way to finish/paint the driveshaft to achieve the required natural finish while avoiding rust? Also, I have the driveshaft from my fastback and it has paint color codes on it of blue, pink, and greenish-yellow. It is the same engine-tranny combo as my coupe, but it is from the San Jose plant, not Dearborn. I no longer have the codes on my coupe's driveshaft. Would the colors be applicable to a Dearborn-built 289 with C-4 car? If not, does anyone know the color codes I need?

Second, my coupe (289 with A/C) never had a heat shield on the battery. The 1968 assembly manual states that only the 390 with A/C should have a heat shield. Furthermore, I have pictures of an unrestored (less than 11,000 original miles), 1967 coupe with 289 and A/C. It does not have a heat shield, and never did, just like my car (had a long talk with the owner). The MCA rules call for a heat shield on "A/C and big block" cars. IMHO, this wording is a problem, as shown by my experience in Pensacola. Does anyone know of a case where a small block with A/C had a battery heat shield? Just doing another survey and trying to pin this down. Thanks for any help or info.

[color:red]1968 Coupe, "Murphy" - Original (car and owner)</font color=red>
[color:blue]1968 Fastback, "Trouble" - Restomod
[color:red]1967-1968 MCA Certified Judge</font color=red>

See Trouble at http://www.rtd.com/~aztlan/stang.htm</font color=blue>

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
For the driveshaft, try getting it down to bare metal and finishing it with gun bluing fluid. You can get it about anywhere (I get it at Walmart). It will give you a natural finish and resist rusting. Repaint stripes after applying the bluing fluid.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Ivy Green with Ivy Gold & White Deluxe Interior

G

·
0 Posts
most driveshafts have some type of rust pitting which requires that you fill the pits and then paint the driveshaft. if you don't have any rust, i would recommend that you try to get it down to bare steel and then clearcoat it with a satin clear. the ends of the driveshaft should show a different color of steel though since these were cast and not sheet steel. also, you can make a nice original effect by heating the welds with a propane torch to turn them a little blue to look like fresh welding.

as far as the stripess go, you should ask Jeff S. on that one. If you have a build sheet, it will have the correct paint marks.

don't know what to tell you on the heat shield. imho, it is best to play by the rules and if/when you have substantial proof, bring up the discrepancy at an MCA judges meeting. On Pete's 67 convertible, it originally came with a/c, but get this, it originally had a 22F battery. He has an NOS 22F battery in his car and trimmed down the heat shield to fit.

just my .02c

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's why we're switching driveshafts, my coupe's was badly pitted and you can still see it through the natural paint. The driveshaft from my fastback, although rusty, is not pitted and is cleaning up beautifully. I'm trying to play by the MCA rules for now, even though my friends are draggin me kicking and screaming on some things (I tend to be a little stubborn, in case no one noticed, *G*). The heat shield, however, is a $70.00 part and I really hate to spend that much on a part my car never had from the factory. Although I might question some other things about my car, there is an incident with the original battery that allows me to say I'm 100% positive there was no shield. Oh well, maybe I'll win the lottery between now and the Grand National.

[color:red]1968 Coupe, "Murphy" - Original (car and owner)</font color=red>
[color:blue]1968 Fastback, "Trouble" - Restomod
[color:red]1967-1968 MCA Certified Judge</font color=red>

See Trouble at http://www.rtd.com/~aztlan/stang.htm</font color=blue>

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi! Laurie, Concerning your driveshaft restoration see: Mustang Monthly May 2001 p.14 Title: Torqueloads of fun..

Good Luck! Raynald Bélanger MCA Certified Judge.

Probably the best 1970 Mustang Mach1 restored in the world.. See: www.geocities.com/raytags/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts