Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a list/chart between the differences of diameters in driveshafts from engine to engine? 6cyl to 289/302 to 390 etc. Mustangtek website used to have something but it appears that page is MIA.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For '68 they were all 3" diameter until about March 1968. At about that time the 390 / 428CJ driveshafts started to have the bigger 4" diameter tube that still necked down to 3" at each end. So there might have been 45 days of transition period from maybe March - April 1968 when either could have been used because they are interchangeable.

You can buy a new driveshaft for any of these applications from Dead Nuts On. Prices are quite reasonable.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
When I put a 1970 390 w/C6 into my 67 Cougar, I had to have a driveline built to connect it to the stock differential. A local shop here did the build.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I put a 1970 390 w/C6 into my 67 Cougar, I had to have a driveline built to connect it to the stock differential. A local shop here did the build.
What diameter was used?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For '68 they were all 3" diameter until about March 1968. At about that time the 390 / 428CJ driveshafts started to have the bigger 4" diameter tube that still necked down to 3" at each end. So there might have been 45 days of transition period from maybe March - April 1968 when either could have been used because they are interchangeable.

You can buy a new driveshaft for any of these applications from Dead Nuts On. Prices are quite reasonable.
Seems to me that the earlier 6cyl were smaller and possibly the 65-67 260/289 as well, but trying to confirm...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
From my research and I6 to V8 conversion on my 66, I was very lucky. The driveshaft used on an I6 C4 transmission is the same as the one used on a 289 with a C4. I recall like you, a chart somewere on the internet that described the differences. May I ask what are you trying to do and with what year/years? I recall from that list, if my 66 I6 was a manual transmission, I was pretty screwed going to a V8 driveshaft wise, none of them were compatiable if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have numerous driveshafts sitting around (from 2-3/4" to 3-1/4" and some wider in the middle vs the ends at the u-joints) and the current project is a '67 289/C4. Wanting to determine what will work and be correct. Also would be good to know what works with the other engines/trannies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts