Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the '66 FB I didn't get all of the parts for the car. I could have sworn that I had the driveshaft for this car, but after searching high and low it's nowhere to be found.

I did find a '67 289 C4 driveshaft and also the one from the '88 Mustang (5.0 donor car). As luck would have it, neither will work. The '67 shaft is to long by a couple inches and the '88 is too short by a couple inches.

Since I'm running the T5, I'm curious now if the missing '66 driveshaft would have fit either....

I thought you could re-use your driveshaft with a T5 swap?

Is a '66 shaft a couple inches shorter than a '67 shaft?

If I can source (locally) a 65-66 shaft, will it matter if it's from an Auto or Manual car?

I've use Inland Empire Driveshafts to make custom aluminum shafts before, but before I take that big $$$ plunge again, I'm curious what my options are.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
1966 shafts range from 49.70 to 51.06, with the most common manual driveshafts are 50.78".

1967 shafts range from 46 19/32 (C6) to 51".

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I used mine with the front yoke from the donor car. It required an asymetrical (?) u-joint, but it worked. It was, however, very tight. I had it shortened when I replaced the rear seal.
At the time I did the T-5 swap, the parts houses sold a "conversion yoke, no need to shorten your driveshaft", so I sprang for it. For like about $75 or so back in ca. 1994. Turned out to be just a shorter yoke than the '65, same length as the '83. So I sent it back, used the Fox one and found a joint to fit.
Anyway, it'll work.
Later,
Dennis

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too late... I already ordered a new Alum. shaft from Inland Empire yesterday. It's about a $100 more, but it includes the 1350 size rear joint I need and also the front yoke.

I've used Inland Empire a couple times in the past and their shafts are top quality and made and shipped on the day they're ordered.

Thanks anyway!
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts