Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a 5 speed trans out of a 80's v8 mustang into my 66. I also installed a quick performance 9 inch rear end. Now I need a drive shaft. What year trans yokes will work? Also has anyone have a part # for the u joint needed for the 9 inch? Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
I bought a T5 yoke off of ebay and fortunately my driveshaft length was perfect with the Ford 9 I installed. I had my driveshaft balance checked and they hooked me up with the proper U-Joints already pressed in.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have a similar set-up (world class T5, 9" rear) and I had John's Industries make an aluminum driveshaft for my car at the proper length. I've done some major surgery as far as engine placement and suspension so I couldn't find a junkyard part that worked. They installed the proper yoke and cap/U-Joint for the 9" so it literally was plug-n-play on the install. Not cheap but fit like a glove. Here's a link if interested: Drive Shafts - John's Industries - Lightweight Steel Drive Shafts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I have the 1330 short wide yoke on the rear end. I will go the the salvage yard tomorrow and try to find a trans yoke.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,489 Posts
I also am using an aluminum driveshaft from a 2WD 4 door Explorer in my 69 Coupe equipped with a 1987 5.0, T-5 trans & a Ford 9" rear. I had to have the driveshaft shortened about 1" to fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts