Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Slamming businesses and whining is not my style but this is one time I feel it's appropriate.

I ordered a custom driveshaft. I spoke to owner on phone and explained my situation. Told him I was converting from small block to big block and needed a correct driveshaft to fit. He asked for a measurement from rear differential yoke to the "seal surface" on rear of trans and assured me he could make one to fit. We discussed u-joints and yokes and he was to install new ones, including a new C6 yoke. We also discussed yoke differences, and I included the factory measurements for a stock driveshaft as part of the information/measurements I forwarded to him. Originally I was going to have a shaft cut to factory specs, but he discouraged me from that and said it would be best if I took an exact measurement. Since I still had not installed the 9 inch, I could not measure it. I spent the next 3 weekends removing the 8 inch, refreshing the 9 and installing it to get a measurement. Once installed, I took my measurements, emailed them to him, and then purchased his driveshaft off ebay to complete the transaction. I payed immediately with paypal.

My driveshaft was shipped quickly and arrived sooner than scheduled. I was happy.

But it did not fit!

It was too long and could not even be installed. I contacted the owner. He assured me that the driveshaft was cut to my measurements and asked me to re-measure. I did and got the exact same measurement-50 and 3/16's inches. He asked me to send send it to him and he would re-cut it and ship it back. I asked for shipping label for return shipping. He said I had to ship back at MY EXPENSE. Owner said he would reimburse me shipping IF the seal surface was not at 50 and 3/16's from the center of rear U-joint.

He received driveshaft back, stated it was my fault because seal surface was at my measurement, and was not going to reimburse me. He would not accept the fact that it would not physically fit in the car, nor was he wiling to cover the costs of his mistake. Stated he had 30 years experience making driveshafts and he knows what he is doing. I guess his 30 years experience fell short on a 50 year car! He did not like it when I told him it was not my fault, it was his error in math. He yelled at me, then said he would not make me a shaft anymore because of my mistake and would reimburse the purchase. I stated that if he was no longer willing to make me a shaft to my satisfaction, that I would be giving "poor" ratings on feedback as I was an unhappy customer. He said "Are you threatening me?" I told him I was stating facts. He then hung up on me. He credited my Paypal account $275, 5 days later. That also did not include shipping both times. So I was shorted 53 dollars in shipping, waited 6 weeks, and I still do not have a drive shaft. Talk about bad business. It was an "ebay" seller, but his shop is a large outfit out of Houston Texas.

I have not named any names yet, as I wanted to ask here if anyone feels I did something wrong here...but I don't see it. I really should have just bucked up and ate the 2nd shipping costs and had him cut it correctly, that would have been the best solution. I would have not spent anymore money and I would have a driveshaft now. But this guy was such a**wipe, I couldn't do business with him. Blaming me for his BS mistake.

I contacted another Ebay seller to purchase another driveshaft. I spoke to him as well. I explained the situation, I explained my previous experience with the Houston shop. The second guy showed me the error. On a C6, the rear output shaft is "proud" of the rear seal and sticks out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This caused the first driveshaft yoke to bottom out on the output shaft. The shaft could not slide far enough forward to allow the driveshaft to be installed correctly. The second guy wants a measurement of how proud it is...from end of output shaft to seal surface, and another measurement from end of output shaft to rear differential. This is how you do it correctly. So hopefully I will be able to install a new driveshaft in 2 weeks. What a fiasco. What do you all think? Am I wrong here...???

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sounds legit to me....
Will you PM me that name?!
I live in HOUSTON, will need a drive shaft, and do NOT want to go here....

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PM sent.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Any good DS shop will have a build sheet that you can download, write in your specs and mail or fax back to them. Then they will make your driveshaft. It eliminates miscommunication.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have a yoke in your transmission when you measured for the drive shaft lenght?
No, I did not have anything driveshaft related, as I was converting from small block to big block. That is why I called and asked exactly what they needed. I was asked to take one measurement-seal surface to differential yoke. He said he could do it from there. I had him supply and install new u-joints and new yoke. I gave him the one measurement he said he needed.

As for filling out a form...they did not have anything like that, although I have seen other sites that do. I went out of my way to remove 8 inch, detail the 9 inch, and install it. That took 3 Saturdays. Another 3 weeks of hastling with sending it back and getting most of my $ refunded. I should not have let him talk me out of ordering a factory spec driveshaft, this would be a non-issue.

Instead, I am writing here for a sanity check. Also starting the barrage of feedback, postings and letters to the business.
They are a large outfit in Houston, and seemed to be pretty reputable...oh well.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
You faired better than my dealing with cj pony parts when I talked to them and ordered the aluminum driveshaft in their catalog that they said would fit my application. It didn't...which I discovered after the 60 day return policy. I offered to pay the shipping back...no, I said store credit would be fine..they said no...I told them we discussed what the car was and they said it would work...they said, well, its still after 60 days, so.........no.....I put an aod in my 66 k code gt fb that was a factory c4 car.....niether I nor CJ's took into account the 9" rear which is a little bigger/deeper than an 8" rear so their driveshaft was too long...surprise! I wound up having Mahar Powertrain Specalists inc in Harrisburg PA make me a new one...he took their new one in as a trade as well...If anybody wants to give them a try, they were a very good driveshaft shop to make an alum one for my car. Call them at 717 231 3900 He said it was easier to make a new one than cut the cj's one down....I also think he is the guy that makes them for cj pony parts as well....big mark up on that thing for cj's as well....

·
Registered
620 Posts
I am always shocked at small business owners who make
mistakes (like all people do), but then try to make their
error into the customer's fault. It's like a personality trait
which guarantees disaster. They have low self-esteem
or something and need to blame anyone but themselves.
They forget they're lashing out at the customer. Idiots.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I used a local drivetrain shop to build the drive shaft for my AOD conversion.
They had a build sheet with the required measurements to do the build. It fit like it was supposed to.

I always try to use local businesses face to face before relying on possible miscommunication dealing over the phone with so called experts.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear your story...it is the pits to pay and have nothing to show for it other than a headache. I have already purchased another shaft...another ebay seller. I am using paypal, so that is why I am using ebay. This was supposed to be the least expensive route...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I prefer local and try to do that as often as possible. But this was a purchase to be made with Pay pal, so I am limited on businesses that take it. That is why I went to ebay, I found a shop in state (TX) and contacted them directly. I hoped speaking directly would ensure better communication, and I did exactly as I was instructed to do.
Still did not fit. Locally it was about 100 dollars more. I am almost to that price now. If they would have taken paypal it would have been great. Oh well.

I posted a google review for the Houston shop immediately after he hung up on me. The owner responded to my review that he was willing to provide a video showing my measurement's location on the slip yoke to prove he was not in error. He then said i threatened to give him bad reviews...funny guy. He forgot to mention that despite the video measurement, the driveshaft could not physically fit in the car. What a joke. He said in his response that he offered to fix it and return ship for free, but would not pay my return shipping on PRINCIPLE...WTF?

I feel better now that I know I am not a crazy idiot.... so here it is.

HOUSTON DRIVETRAIN SERVICES
Houston Drive Train, Inc. 7959 North Loop East, Houston, TX 77028
GARY BOUSKA

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
Nothing surprises me anymore.
How about one where the car is actually IN the drivetrain shop and they get it wrong.

That experience was "enjoyed" at Driveline of Denver. I think they're out of business
now.....

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I took my original driveshaft to a local shop in Tucson to see what the issue was with vibration. The guy was out of the shop at the time, but called me back as soon as he got back in from lunch and asked me to come on back. I did, and he showed me what was wrong with the driveshaft. He explained what it would cost to repair, and it wasn't cheap. He advised that I could probably get one cheaper online or at the local wrecking yards. That's when I discovered the Explorer aluminum driveshafts and now have one in my car. The moral of this story is that sometime face-to-face is a good deal.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is an update, I was just back under the car to take new measurements of how proud the output shaft was. I was shocked to see it was nearly 1 and 1/2 inches of shaft sticking out past the seal surface. I measured from output shaft to rear diff and I got 48 and 5/8". Add the 1.5 inches of output shaft and I arrive nearly at the original measurement I supplied him of 50 and 3/16". I guess he did not know that shaft was so proud? He obviously overlooked that part when it came to making the shaft. I guess I was dealing with someone who just was not up to the job or knew ford stuff. He supplied everything. I had a helper with me when I took measurements the first two times. Of course I was on the rear end and not the trans end. Even during install. I explained to him the yoke was bottoming out on the shaft before reaching the shoulder, but he wasn't hearing any of that.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Man! What a lousy experience. When I got the aluminum drive shaft for my car, I ordered it from Inland. After double/triple checking measurements everything worked out great.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
For those reading - I got lucky with my '66 HiPo C-4 conversion to AOD. I keep a few yokes around to use as plugs when pulling a transmission. Just my lucky day, but I was able to use my original driveshaft by replacing the yoke with a shorter one.

Just food for thought.

Sucks on the OP's situation - the vendor supplied everything and received the correct measurement = vendor should make it right.

·
Registered
20,070 Posts
Nothing surprises me anymore.
How about one where the car is actually IN the drivetrain shop and they get it wrong.

That experience was "enjoyed" at Driveline of Denver. I think they're out of business
now.....
That reminds me when I use to work at Hert's World headquarters. We had 2 sets of double doors with a center mullion. This was so we could bring cars in and out of the lobby, removing the 4 doors and mullion. We had a contractor come in and measure for new doors which were 2 sets of bifold doors you could just open up without removing anything. So they came in with the new doors, they were too long. Next set were too short. I think it was the fourth try that they actually got the 4 doors the right length. I can only imagine how much money was lost by the contractor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts