Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how much of the slip yoke should be sticking out of the tailshaft of a C4 when the car is sitting level and not moving? I'm starting to think my driveshaft might be too short.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
About 2.5 to 2.75" from the back of the trans case to the CL of the u-joint bore....

Also, check your dimetral yoke clearance by attempting to wiggle the yoke up or down .....you should not be able to see any movement but might feel a little bit...

What symptoms do you have to lead you to suspect the driveline being too short?

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I'll check the dimensions tonite.
I recently replaced my worn factory trans mount with a polyurethane mount. After doing so, I started getting very intense vibrations that started at about 60 mph. Before I could take it up to 75-80 no problem.
My guess is some kind of driveline problem, which the old, worn mount was masking. Possibly out of balance driveshaft, bad U-joint, something like that.
Working under the car, I did notice that about an inch and a half of the exposed, machined portion of the slip yoke was sticking out of the tailshaft, which seemed like a lot to me. Just wanted to check and cover all bases.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I once asked a drive shaft place this same question; they said only about an inch or so. I was curious, because I suspected inadequate penetration of a driveshaft, causing my rear bushing to fail, causing my driveshaft to flail, causing my tail housing to shell (into two autonomous pieces). Now I just tell the guys it's x inches from the tail housing to rear u-joint centerline... PLEAASEeee make me one... by Saturday night's drags??????!!!!!

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

1 - 4 of 4 Posts