Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 cly. which i plan on eventually making a v-8. This summer i am going to do the suspension and brakes. If i put in a 8 or 9" rear end will i need a new driveshaft? if so can i get it from the car i take the rearend from?

Thanks in advance

65 Hardtop 6 cyl.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I don't know what year your vehicle is or from what donor you're going to grab the rear axle assy from but if it's a '65-'66 you'll need the donor car's drive shaft and have it cut down to fit or have one made. If you would like to see a list for the '65-'66 I6 to V8 swap, do a search by username for a65ragtop and go to his VMF FAQ site or so a search for I6 to V8 swap on this sight.

Good luck!

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If that's the route you are taking, I would just use a "conversion" U-joint. These will have the 6cyl size on one side and the new 3rd member on the other. Most decent parts stores can swap parts until they make one fit. The 6cyl driveshaft will be very close in length and will likely work just fine.
Save the trick parts for the next stage...... the V8/Trans swap later.

Hal

Never drive faster then your guardian angel can fly.

**Wear your seat belt**

PS, that's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts