Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if someone could identify this driveshaft. It came with my 68 mustang coupe project.

The yoke has the code c5aw-4868-a on it. It appears to be a 28 spline as it fits my T5 fine. But the tube size goes down at the end. Looks almost like a smaller tube in a bigger one. I don't think it is the original to my 67.... Any help is appreciated it. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
My 70 has a driveshaft like that, one shaft inside another. They are joined by a rubber insulator to reduce vibration. I have read that we should get rid of them as the rubber ages, and they can actually induce a vibration with the old rubber, or possibly seperate. I have not changed mine.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Just wondering if someone could identify this driveshaft. It came with my 68 mustang coupe project.

The yoke has the code c5aw-4868-a on it. It appears to be a 28 spline as it fits my T5 fine. But the tube size goes down at the end. Looks almost like a smaller tube in a bigger one. I don't think it is the original to my 67.... Any help is appreciated it. Thanks
Your post is a little confusing - do you have a 67 or 68?

Driveshafts

Paul

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oops...I have a 67. I posted the thread from my iphone....fat fingered it.

But I did do a bit more research and finally found some info. It appears it is a 2 piece driveshaft that started being put in to the cars late 67 / early 68. Just like Coupster said...they are joined by rubber and is probably not the best if you are making over stock horsepower...

I will likely use the yoke but just get a new 1 piece driveshaft. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts