Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running an AOD 8in rear 3.80:1 I have no idea how to estimate it. Is there a general Percentage?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Rule of thumb is about 18% between engine dyno & chassi dyno runs. Is that what your asking?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
A friend of mine and myself will be building an ~800hp 427 (stroked 351) with EFI that will be extensively dynoed on the engine dyno to work out the bugs. It will then be chassis dynoed after it is in the car with the racing C4 attached. I am looking forward to seeing the numbers and the true powerloss through the transmission and drivetrain.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
My 345ci BOSS 302 Stroker went (hp/torque) 398.3/348.6 @ 6000rpm on the engine dyno. 326.1/317.5 @ 5400rpm on the chassi dyno. That's with p/s and smog systems installed, stock ign.

398.3 x 18% = 71.7

398.3 - 71.7 = 326.6

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
This is all with a 4 spd, correct?

I thought I heard somewhere there is a lot more parasitic loss with an auto than with a stick. ::

Correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Yes with a 4spd, wide ratio toploader, 3.50 gears, 9.7:1 20 over pistons.

I'm sure an automatic does change the numbers but not by much I'd think.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
It really varies from car to car. rjcuise car was 15.5% loss thru a 4 speed and 8" rear. Other 4 speed cars with 9" rears have been as much as 20% (537 FWHP vs 428 RWHP). 9" rears use more power than 8" rears. My car was a C4 with a 9" rear and RWHP was 315. Then I converted to a T5z and now it's 345 (some other minor mods may have been responsible for a few of those HP). T5z is more efficient than a toploader so maybe the loss is something like 15% with a 9" rear. C4 and 9" rear loss was probably more like 22%. An AOD is more efficient than a C4 I believe so 20% may be a good estimate for a car with a 9" rear...possibly less for a 8" rear equipped car. 25% sounds like a lot of loss for your car.

All of this is just estimates unfortunately since I never had a engine dyno. Don't you just love direct answers...LOL ::

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Thx for the info. It looks like maybe 25% might be close with the AOD
The dyno operators I've talked to say the AOD takes more power than the C4 in their experience.

I've had communication with Harold Bettes at Superflow. He stated the Superflow chassis dyno is able to compute a net hp/tq number based on the rear wheel readings and "other input".

Net meaning at the crank of the engine/car being tested.

Keep in mind that numbers from an engine dyno are not net.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The thing I find puzzling about parasitic loss is how that percentage stays mostly constant regardless of the engine's power. You would think it takes a given amount of power to turn the accessories, the trans, and the rear gear. Let's say it takes 40HP to move all that, so that a 200 crank HP engine shows 160 to the wheels. Now if you dropped a 500HP mill in that same car, it won't make 460HP (500 crank - 40 drivetrain loss). It will likely make about 400 at the wheels, turning the same accessories, the trans, and the rear gear.
I don't confess to understand why.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I would estimate that it has to do with the more powerful engine accelerating the drivetrain faster which takes more power to accomplish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts