Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for a few opinions on my little dilemma.

In June I will be getting my Navy commission and I will be stationed in Virginia. I currently live in Seattle so getting the mustang over to Virginia has me in a pickle. I could ship it but that would cost at least 1k, and money will already be tight with the move, getting a new apt etc. Or I could drive it across country. I am a little concerned about doing this, mostly because I would be paranoid the whole way. The car should be mechanically able to make the trip, as everything is pretty much brand new, but things ALWAYS seem to go wrong, huh?

What would you guys do? On one hand the trip would be a blast and would be very memorable (although I would probably be going it alone). On the other there is always the inherent risk involved and I am unsure how my collector car insurance would feel about me doing this.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Pony Drive

Right up my alley! Our club does nothing BUT drive our mustangs all over the country. We do a different portion of the US each year and I drive my 65 1/2 convert. In 2004, for the 1st Pony Drive, it went 15,000 miles in 9 weeks, Fla to Nashville, to Calif, to Mich, thru Canada to New England, and down the east coast to home. In the succeeding Pony Drives, it's accumulated 60,000 miles just on these trips. Overall, in 22 years, it's gone over 350,000 miles! This year- Fla-PA-Denver-Sturgis-Yellowstone-Salt Lake City-Denver-PA and Fla. Only 9,000 miles.
Break downs??- occasionally, but there isn't much that can't be fixed easily. 2 years ago, the motor seized 2 weeks before the trip and it was rebuilt and made the whole trip w/ no further problems.
Secret to travelling across the US- There are numerous mustang clubs all along any route you could take and these people will gladly help if you have any problems. We organize stops with all the clubs along our routes to party with them and they plan activities for us. You can print out a list of clubs along your route in case you do have a problem.
Depending on time, take the side roads and it will be a LOT more fun. It's what we do!
Need any add'l info? Check out The Great American Pony Drive

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yes, Pony Doc has a good suggestion. Contacting any/all clubs is a BIG help. I've done that and the help was always great. Good luck on the trip. John--Las Vegas.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have driven across the country in a 1956 Volkswagen and a little later in a 1956 Thunderbird. My 1966 Mustang went 189,000 miles (289-2V, C-4) before I decided to restore it 1998. I don't think I would hesitate to drive it another 2,500 miles. It only has about 5,000 miles since it was restored.

However, except for the fun of it, it might be cheaper to ship it and hop on Southwest. 2,500 miles at 17 MPG = 147 gallons of gas at about $3.00 per gallon = $441.00 just for fuel. About 5 nights on the road will cost at least $125 per day for minimal room and food. That is another $625. Oh, yes, then there is the one way air fare on Southwest. I think I might drive it and have a ball. Just check out the car thoroughly before you start. Have fun.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If it were me, I'd ship it. You'll spend over 1k driving it, not to mention wear and tear on your car. If it were with a club or something, I could see doing it. I love to drive mine, but the lack of cruise control, and lumbar support rules out any long trips for me due to my back problems.

That said, it would be a trip you'd never forget. For better or worse, you'd never forget it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couple things I forgot to ad.

If I ship the car, it is 1k out of my pocket and the navy pays my plane ticket.

If I drive, the Navy pays me something like 50 cents per mile traveled.

So it would be more cost effective to drive the car. I am not worried about wear and tear, there are about 2k on pretty much every part on the car, I have a t5z so the highway would be fine for the engine, I have fox seats so I would be nice and comfortable during the ride

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
its no different then when i drove my 2006 ford f350 diesel pickup from lost angeles to jackson missippi and it blode up about 35 miles west of Pecos texas on I-20 eastbound in the late afternoon in the middle of nowhere. i dont remember the exact mileage but it was less then 90,000. another guy just had his new 2011 ford f350 diesel pickup blow up. i drove my other 65 mustang across country a few times, and my hot rod 66 station wagon from lost angeles to missippi and back. my 1986 toyota corolla had a rod start knocking on a trip to missippi and it came out of the block and the corolla had under 100,000 miles on it. i have seen new stuff broke down on the highway. i say drive it and dont sweat it !!! besides the old mustang is easy to fix on the side of the road unless of course a rod desides to come out !!! btw the towtruck driver that towed my truck in texas said he had toed a many a out a state ford pickups that broke down on I-20.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Couple things I forgot to ad.

If I ship the car, it is 1k out of my pocket and the navy pays my plane ticket.

If I drive, the Navy pays me something like 50 cents per mile traveled.

So it would be more cost effective to drive the car. I am not worried about wear and tear, there are about 2k on pretty much every part on the car, I have a t5z so the highway would be fine for the engine, I have fox seats so I would be nice and comfortable during the ride
For reference, I am paying $1850 to ship my Boss from Delaware to the Bay Area via Intercity Lines, the best closed shippers out there, so the cost from Seattle to Virginia is definitely greater than 1k...
With the creature comforts of your car and the financial advantage from the Navy, what is the down side to driving across country, it will be spring, enjoy the ride...
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Is this your only car? If not, then ship it. Is so, then drive it. You'll be wanting for cruise control after a while, but you'll survive. Just keep an eye on the weather about a week or so before you go. You don't want to drive through a freak snow storm with your nice pony.

Another option I've done in the past is rent a u-haul that can handle their car hauler. The Navy doesn't care how you drive there, you get the same reimbursement. Plus, you can take some stuff with you in the u-haul to set up your apt right away. Consider it a partial dity and you'll make money on the deal. If you don't have much stuff then throw it all in the u-haul and do a full dity and make more money. Yeah, you have to pack and unpack it yourself, but if it isn't much then no biggie. With either option you have to get the truck weighed empty and full WITHOUT the trailer/car. You can right off the extra moving expenses you're not reimbursed for taxes next year. You should also be able to have the Navy pack only your stuff if you don't want to hassle with that.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won't feel comfortable towing it with a uhaul, but thanks for the idea. I am perfectly fine with waiting for the navy to pcs my stuff, I have a room in my parents house in Norfolk in the mean time,

The stang isn't my only car, I have a Focus but it will be sold before I leave. At this point I am really leaning towards driving it, I daily drove the car for 3 years so I am sure everything will go fine. I'll have to contact American Collectors and see what they think about it though. If it won't be covered for the trip I will have to reevaluate

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My vote is for driving it, but I would be very surprised if your insurance will go for it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Go for a ride and enjoy the trip !! I feel sure we have enough members on this forum that you could have a support group if you had any trouble along the way I used to ride with a family based Motorcycle club called Southern Cruisers we had a network of phone numbers and Volunteers in every state In case there was a problem when people were traveling. Im sure we could do the same here. everyone knows of a local repair shop they use. go for the trip and memories and take pictures

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I would talk to you insurance beforehand. If you sell your DD, then they usually won't let you keep the Mustang on collectors insurance anyway.

I think you could have some great memories driving her all the way. A couple things to consider though: If it breaks down and your schedule to get to Virginia is really tight, you could be faced with not getting to your ship on time, having to leave the car and fly to VA, etc.... Maybe leave extra early?

Secondly, I would get input from people here, and put together a great tool kit and crash cart. Maybe bring a couple of extra "likely" to break parts with you.

Sounds great!

PS - I have seen a couple youtube videos where people rigged a digital camera to take time lapse photos all the way across America. Very cool to compile them into videos at the end. Maybe like one picture every 4 or 5 minutes.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've driven classic Mustangs for years (daily and otherwise). Although I haven't driven one cross country yet. I would put the financial aspect aside and think of how priceless it would be to cruise cross country in a classic stang.I'd check all of the basics on the car,throw spare parts and tools in the trunk, and go........

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Time will not be an issue. I should have a month or so from when I commission and I have to report. I'll leave 3 weeks before.

My daily will only be sold for the trip and I will be buying a new car when I get to Virginia, so that is another thing I'll have to discuss with the insurance company.

The camera idea is awesome! I will have to do that if I end up going for it

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm the type that would look for every excuss to drive it. Things to check would include make sure the wheel bearings are well lubed, hoses, belts, tires. Make sure the water pump is in good shape as well as the distributor button. These are the things that don't like extended miles.

But classic mustangs are like dumb pack animals. They're so simple and robust they'll usually just keep plodding along even if something is wrong. I might throw a spare oil pressure sensor in the glove box. I once had one of those fail and spew all the oil out in no time flat.

Other than these few things I think your biggest concern would be if you got enough space on your digital camera. Take a lot more pictures than you think you should. They will be cherished later.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Claassic Mustang across country in June? HELL YES!! Take a fair collection of tools and a laptop so you can check in with VMF every night. You know if you run into trouble someone on this forum will be nearby and willing to help out.

Do it...

MrFreeze

1 - 20 of 69 Posts