Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in paint prep now and am wondering about the “caulking?” Along the inside if the drip rail. There is clearly something there from before that is cracking and flaking off, so I will/have removed most of it. Do I need to replace this material during paint? Wouldn’t a proper primer and paint protect the metal well enough?

If I should replace it, any suggestions on material choice?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
There is definitely a seam sealer that goes there...I don't think primer & paint is enough.

I believe it's different than the seam sealer you use elsewhere on the car...but someone with more knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
689 Posts
This is the stuff I use and its great. It's a two part product. If you go this route you,ll need the special gun to apply it:
3M 08307 Self Leveling Seam Sealer

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, SEM offers good one part Seam Sealers that can be applied with a standard caulk gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
I used Eastwood seam sealer on my drip rails. Later, I thought I read somewhere there's some other kind of stuff that's supposed to go up there and I got concerned. However, three years after paint, it's all holding together up there. Good to know seam sealer is OK for drip rails.

For the OP, I would highly recommend a thorough cleaning of the drip rail areas followed by 2 or more coats of epoxy primer. Then apply the seam sealer over the epoxy.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I definitely recommend a 2k seam sealer as Lenny has shown.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
This is the stuff I use and its great. It's a two part product. If you go this route you,ll need the special gun to apply it:
3M 08307 Self Leveling Seam Sealer

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, SEM offers good one part Seam Sealers that can be applied with a standard caulk gun.
Good to hear because this is the same stuff I used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts