Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like comments on whether is worth the effort in relocating the upper A arm. I have a '65 fastback. I haven't driven the car for 15 years and am in the middle of restoring it to almost original condition. I can't really remember how bad/good the car handled and would it be better to just leave the A arm in the original postion?

Suggestions?

G

·
0 Posts
well, restoring and modifying are 2 different things. if you are after originality, then i would suggest you not drill holes and lower the upper control arms.

most everyone that has done the modification are happy with the results.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked out your website. Your car is perfect. I also have fastback that is Caspian blue. I was the one asking about the A arm location on the Vintage Mustang Form. I am not going to even try to make my car look like yours. Mine will be driven around a lot. So I guess I might as well lower the A arm, as I have been hearing the benefits are good.

Question I have. I just bought front springs that lower the car 1". I bought new leaf springs (4) leaf and they are original eye. My question would be, if I lower the A arm, and install 1" shorter springs, would the car then be too low. I.E. does moving the A arm also lower the car? Maybe I should have bought standard height springs. Comments?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I've got my car (see my signature/profile) back on the road (still lots to do, though) and I installed the Shelby mod. Someone posted a week or so back about this and stated that the mod is not fully effective unless you install some other modifications. Stiffer and drop springs were one of those items. Other items were a large (1" or more) front sway bar, rear sway bar (5/8 or more), gas shocks, wider tires. I did this mod after I had previously had the other items (I also cut another 1/2 coil out of my Magna 620 front springs, hehehe). The car didn't drop too much (if any) after installing the Shelby mod.

However, your original eye rear leaf springs will most likely be too high for the lowered front. I am running Torq-Thrust D, 15 x 7 wheels, with Nitto 460's (unidirectional, good for dry, which is perfect for Socal) 225-50-15 tires. They fit in the wheel wells nicely after all of my hacking.

Good luck...

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Steve... when you say to high for the lowerd front end what do you mean exactly? I've put the drop springs and gas shocks etc in my convert, and was "planning" on going with the heavier leafs also..( hate that sagging ass-end look) I figuerd with the drop in the front and a little raise in the back I'd be setting about level? Am I wrong in my thinking?

Ken
99 GTP
97 Yukon
68 GT convert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts